angm47

Looking for examples of trickle vents in wooden sash windows

Angie
last year

Has anyone had trickle vents in wooden sash windows? Last year we replaced four of our windows and liked them so much we’re doing another window plus the French doors this year. But just heard today that there has been a change in building regs and they are now required to fit trickle vents unless in a conservation area. So our lovely new sash windows which will be fitted in July will have trickle vents. I can’t get beyond plasticky, ugly, things in my mind’s eye so wondering if anyone has them? The salesman will be contacting us next week when back from holiday and I’m sure he’ll have pictures, but I’m impatient! Currently I feel so disheartened about this. It’s the first we’ve heard of it and it seems there is no opt out option. They certainly didn’t have such a thing when our Edwardian house was built! Hey ho. Angie

Comments (20)

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

If it's a like for like exchange no vents needed but in new extension etc you'd need vents

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

Sadly it seems that's not what the regulations say for fitting after 15th June this year. ὡ2

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

You don't need building regs to change windows though. They'll say you need a FENSA certificate but even that's a con

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

True, but the installers won't certify with FENSA if it's not compliant. Can't opt out of FENSA as company installing wouldn't do job without. At least whatever goes in will look far superior to the ugly upvc ones that are currently there.

• arc3d
    last year

Just find another company. Some building regs are just silly.

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

Too late to change. Already in production and we've paid 50%. We really like the company, and they did our front windows last year so want to stick with them. Just frustrated about change in regs.

• arc3d
    last year

Second option is to get them fitted if you don't like the way they look get a carpenter/joiner to come out and "repair" them.

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

Building regs insisted we had  trickle vents in our side extension too i had a conversation with the inspector & said we'd be ok to leave out.

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

Will see what they say next week. I get why trickle vents are used, I just want the new (expensive!) windows to look good. They're replacing upvc and currently no issues with condensation in the house.

• V CM
    last year

This is one of mine. Can’t see it with the blind there. Can’t say I really noticed it when I didn’t have a blind. Maybe if it wasn’t painted white you would though.

• V CM
    last year

Oh. Pictures didn’t post. Will try again

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks V CM. So it's in the actual moving window frame. Hmmm. Had hoped it would be at the top of the surrounding frame, which for us would be more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe they can do that. Yours looks pretty discreet from the inside. Thanks for posting.

• Daisy England
    last year

FENSA is not required. If you want a pass on the window ask Building Control and they will offer a Building Notice.

Trickle vents have been in for years. You can have a night vent as an alternative on the casement fasteners.

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all for your comments. We’ve now seen photos and a video showing the vents which will be fitted and whilst we would rather not have them, they are very discreet, especially on the sash window where it is built into the framework and won’t look any different. There will be a visible plastic vent cover inside the French doors which we don’t much like but husband will deal with that after installation so it’s accessible but can’t be seen. The daft thing is that the regulations are to improve ventilation in buildings, stating that new windows will make a building more airtight. I would agree if we were replacing an old wooden sash with a new, double glazed one, but we’re replacing a sealed unit upvc window with a wooden sash, and I’m pretty sure the ventilation will be increased even if no trickle vents were fitted. Having read a large chunk of the regulations (I know!) it seems one would no longer be able to replace a vented extractor with a circulation one, or remove it altogether. I’ve seen that come up on here before, so one to be aware of from 15th June this year. Angie

• PRO
    Chameleon Decorators & Windows Restoration
    last year

Here is an example of a trickle vent in a wooden sash window

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

My understanding is that our windows will have much more subtle trickle vents than your picture shows Chameleon. I hope so anyway! They're being fitted this coming week, so we'll see for certain soon enough.

• lspendl 828
    last year

Looking good. Very discreet indeed.

• Angie
    Original Author
    last year

Final update: the French doors are in, with very discreet trickle vents. We're so pleased with them. And without the upvc surrounds, the glazed area is so much wider, making the room so much brighter.

• Sarah L
    last year

Nice! Never gave trickle vents much thought, but I can see mine look quite chunky now.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.