georgiancottageliving

Final design for sunroom, utility and cloakroom

my husband and i have been back and forth with final designs for our extension. The building work starts in a few weeks and we wanted to just see whether anyone could forsee any issues before we finalise this plan. There will be a door into the toilet from the utility as well as a basin. The door bear our settees leads to the kitchen.

Any thoughts would be appreciate please. We are still debating whether to have sash windows or patio doors from the sunroom which leads to the garden.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Aitch Interiors Ltd
    last year

How exciting! Looking at your plans, there are just a few things that you might want to consider. Would it make more sense for the door entering into the room from the back to be in the middle of the wall? This will allow you to place the sofas facing each other and help to give the room more symmetry.

As far as French doors go, this is a personal choice. How do you see yourself and your family using the space? Does it back onto a garden that you want to feel more connected to? Or would you gain more from having a space for a wood burner or tv? Both are right, depending on what works best for you.

Hope that helps!

Warm Regards

Robyn

Aitch Interiors

• georgiancottageliving
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your thoughts. We cant move the door at the top but we could close that up and make a new doorway where the bottom of the right hand settee is. This might work with the sofas being able to face.

i think we’re both debating the log burner/french doors. itll have underfloor heating but a log fire gives a cosiness to the place. Equally, its nice to sit out and look at the garden!

• minnie101
    last year

Could you pinch some space from the utility to make the loo wider for a sink next to the loo? It needn’t be as wide as the one shown. The door from the hall to the loo looks as if it needs to move over a bit otherwise it would be a struggle to get in? If you’re having a door from loo to utility, do you need the one from the sunroom? It will be easier accessing laundry from the hall rather than walk through kitchen and then sunroom. although saying that I only use the utility for laundry and have no reason for it to be near a kitchen!

I prefer the idea of french doors. if you lost the door from the sunroom to utility would a slim corner log burner fit?

• georgiancottageliving
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! Iike the idea of the toilet how you‘ve shown but we need 240cm for the utility. 10cm for a stud wall which leaves only 80cm wide for the toilet. The plus side is rhat the toilet is 160cm long so hopefully wont feel cramped!

We could get rid of the outside door to the utility which would make it less cramped inside.

to the top of the toilet area is a window, ive just chosen a bad picture! The door will enter into the utility so there will be 3 doors into the utility which is my main worry that it’ll be a little chaotic!

• katlucy
    last year

can i just say …shoot me down if this has already been suggested…. but the utility is in the best corner of the house ie sw facing…..

• georgiancottageliving
    Original Author
    last year

Oh so not there??? i didnt think of that. The majority of the rooms are north facing but the current kitchen and new extrnsion will face the garden and be W/SW. we havent got a lot of other places it can go unfortunately. the other place which it could go is right at the other end of the house away from the kitchen and garden bit that was meant to be a potential bedroom. we’re in a cottage and upstairs is small!

• katlucy
    last year

Can you put the utilty inline with the loo then the sun room can go across the garden and dining area

• georgiancottageliving
    Original Author
    last year

We cant really otherwise we end up with a very narrow walk through.

this is probably our other design option.

• PRO
    The Living House
    last year

Hi peckadoodle, you may find our blog helpful it has lots of tips for when extending your home. Hope this helps!😊 https://www.thelivinghouse.co.uk/blog-interior-design-tips/the-6-most-common-mistakes-we-see-when-you-extend-your-home

• georgiancottageliving
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @The Living House. ive already read it! Its a good read!

just realised that my photo didnt upload before.

• georgiancottageliving
    Original Author
    last year

We have finally finished the bullding work which was slowed down by covid. the skirting and final finishes need completely but we’re really oleased with how it’s gone.

• georgiancottageliving
    Original Author
    last year

We have finally finished the bullding work which was slowed down by covid. the skirting and final finishes need completely but we’re really oleased with how it’s gone.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.