madeleine_a40

1930s semi-detached, lounge that has become a corridor?

Madeleine A
last year
last modified: last year

Hi! Long-time lurker, first time poster here :)

I have a really annoying lounge area, typical of a 1930s semi, that is limited on all four sides by two doorways, a bay window, and a chimney breast (please see plans). It's proving really difficult to find a comfortable/practical seating arrangement. The current layout which is a sofa (red rectangle) with a TV on the opposite wall (blue rectangle) feels like sitting in a corridor.

However there doesn't seem to be enough space between the door and the bay window either.

It's only my husband and I but we do want room to spread out, and for visitors to sit. Does anyone have any clever ideas please? I can't think straight anymore and I'm almost tempted to move house to avoid it altogether XD

Thank you.

Comments (4)

• Wumi
    last year

• Last Word77
    last year

Wumi, what a brilliantly helpful post! Would you please mind looking at my post about creating a third bedroom? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you!

• Ted
    last year

I totally agree with Wumi's suggestion, combine the WC and utility to be one room and you may be able to regain the proper corridor.

• Little Jem
    last year

We had a similar problem, but didn't realise it. The builder took one look and said, "This living room is just a corridor !" No seating arrangment worked well. In the end, we moved the boiler from its cupboard (which took off a whole corner of the room !) and put it in the utility room elsewhere; used that area as the new doorway, so it was then just a few steps to the double doors leading to the dining room. That meant we could have an uninterrupted area to sit and entertain in near the window - a bit like Wumi's suggestion above. It really does matter where the doorways are ! At present, your problem is compounded by the fact that you HAVE to walk right through the middle of the living room to get to the kitched from the front door.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.