ADVICE
Houzz Logo Print
fiona_brenchley

Roof lantern or flat glass rooflight?

Fiona Brenchley

We’re having a new extension that will be open plan kitchen, dining area and snug. The extension is SW facing. We want to be able to open up so much space to the outside world and let the light pour in. We’ve opted for a roof Lantern with bifolds. However, we’re now having 2nd thoughts. Maybe roof lights would be better. Insulation is key to avoid cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Comment (1)

The SpaceMaker Interiors

Hi Fiona,

How exciting. The specification of the glazing is what will really impact its heat efficiency and your glaziers should be able to advise you further on this.

One small note about lanterns is that they technically add volume to the space, which needs to be taken into account when calculating the BTU and heating requirements of a space. Once you have made your decision make sure to update your plumber regarding the BTU requirements.

Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.