webuser_905046204

Architect problem - I want a refund

HU-905046204
2 years ago

Hi there,

We’ve had major problems with our architect and so we have dropped them and began with another at substantial cost.

Problems we had:

Produced only one concept that did not fit the brief nor listen to our conversation about what we wanted in general. The design looked good and they said we could reconfigure it no problem.

So we said ok. We thought this would be another concept however apparently not as they then billed us for a the developed design phase.

They delayed the initial concept by a month meaning we completely missed our chance to start build before winter.

They did not know we lived in a conservation area until 6 months in.

I ended up designing the layout on the first floor as they could not produce anything good.

It took too long to be happy with the rest of the internal layout so I agreed for them to produce elevations with the agreement of finishing the internal layout after planning.

Produced elevations that were very different to 3D renders. Windows all over the place.

Charged me for redoing it.

Got planning permission and on the date it was due to go through they informed us the project would cost £100k more than our initial budget.

Our new architect has told us the main feature of the design is non building reg compliant.

The whole process has been like pulling teeth. This architect is award winning and is supposed to be design led with a decent portfolio for the region we live in.

I’m becoming increasingly aware that we’ve been completely fleeced here. We are living in a house in a bad state of disrepair with two kids. It’s been a real hard slog. They’ve put a year on the project to date and charged us a premium.

Is there anything I can do/should do?

Thank you!

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.