webuser_662592356

Help on insulation in extension please!!!!!

HU-662592356
2 years ago

Living in the UK. We had a single story extension off the back of our house and it was completed last year. We got through this winter but noticed that it was difficult to get the space warm - even when we had the heating on for over an hour in the morning before using it.

The extension is high up as our house is on a slope so the floor is suspended with a void underneath. The void is accessible but we have put a well insulated door over the entrance to the crawl space to help keep it warm. Because we are using the space for storage, there is fire board finishing the underside. We have removed some of this and noticed a few gaps in the cellotex that is battened between the joists and so have filled with expanding foam.

When trouble shooting why it does not stay warm, I removed the front of a plug socket and noticed that there was a significant draft coming from the hole where the electric cable was in the cellotex. After getting up the original plans, I have noticed that although there is cellotex inbetween the studs, there should have been an additional layer of 25mm insulation on top of the stud work before the plasterboard was put on. The project is now finished and kitchen in in etc.

We have contacted our builder (who is actually quite reasonable) and are due to have a meeting with him this month to try and remedy a solution. I would appreciate some advice as to what we can do retrospectively that will do something to make up for the missing layer of insulation. We have used a small amount of fire grade expanding foam to seal the gaps around the electrical boxes to stop the initial drafts that we found taking off the face plate. But we would like to meet with our builder with some level of knowledge of what could be done to sort this and improve the warmth factor.

The original build was meant to be timber frame, but was changed to brick for various reasons (I'll not go into detail here). So the construction of the walls starting externally are as follows:

Redwood cladding

Blockwork (grey)

Ventilation gap

Timber frame and studs (tied to the brick)

Cellotex style insulation between the studwork / timber frame the same depth as the wood

****missing 25mm insulation layer on top of the wooden studs / frame*****

Foil backed plasterboard

Skim

Advice / help greatly appreciated. Surely the only solution can't be to rip out kitchen and add the additional layer? 😭

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.