webuser_16713319

Can I cancel a builder?

Ruth House
2 years ago

We've done an awful thing and cancelled our builder last minute. I feel awful as i know that leaves him with a 3 month gap to fill and potentially no imcome if he cant.
However I'm wondering whethrt an agreement on a WhatsApp message constitute a contract? We agreed a 'rough price' and 'estimated start date' with a builder over WhatsApp. We asked for a detailed quote by email after his visit in January but he didn't provide this, he said he would come back in April to discuss details and provide email quote then. Start date was given as 'may/june' which we agreed to. But he hasn't been in touch to confirm this since. There was no paper contract or deposit paid.
Would you expect a contract with a cancellation clause by now? Surely if 6 weeks before is 'too short notice' to cancel, then there should have been a paper contract by this point?

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.