webuser_312486852

Guarantees! Cavity wall insulation.

Mark Elliott
last year

My house was built in 1964, about 10 years later a ‘Household Name’ firm that are still in business installed a form of spun fibre type cavity wall insulation. Or so the vendor told me in the 1980s and he had the paperwork (I’ve still got it). The firm is still in business.

Notwithstanding the insulation the house has always been cold. However it’s impossible to remove spun fibre insulation so it can’t be improved upon.

Recently we’ve had building work on two of the four main external walls, and that has exposed the cavity. You’ll not be surprised to learn that the builders found no trace of any cavity wall insulation whatsoever.

It’s possible the installation was defective (or not done at all) or the product has broken down over 50 years.

Any ideas as to what can be done

Comments (4)

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

Not sure what you're thinking but seems like you want the cavity wall people to fix this? They probably only guaranteed it for max 25 years anyhow

• Mark Elliott
    Original Author
    last year

I get the guarantee is long exhausted, and clearly I’ve no claim against the house vendor because they couldn’t have known either.

But, the installer is still in business, the installation was at best partially incomplete and possibly totally absent so the issue is do I have a claim for misrepresentation or something against the installer? I’m not the contracting party, but for 30 years I’ve been paying inflated heating bills due to their sloppy (possibly fraudulent) work!

• Sonia
    last year

You could contact Citizens Advice to see whether it is worth putting in a claim? Problem is that the cost of suing the company may cost more than having the cavity insulation redone by someone else, if that is an option.

• Daisy England
    last year

Thats’s concerning. If they’ve purposely missed yours how many others have they missed? Sometimes parts are missed but not all of it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.