webuser_501553305

Decorators caulk and no more nails shining through emulsion

HU-501553305
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

i am in need of assistance. i recently decorated my daughters bedroom and fitted panelling to her wall. initially the panels were positioned in the wrong place and were attached to the wall with no more nails. i tried to wipe this off as best as i could but no more nails residue is showing through. How can i fix this. Have tried recoating over with paint to no avail. Any assistance would be appreciated

Also i used decorators caulk to fill gaps between the wood and when painted over with emulsion the decorators mate is shining through. Can i fix this. Do you know of any remedies i can try to resolve?

Many thanks for reading

Comments (12)

• User
    2 years ago

I usally find white spirit is the best thing to use for removing residue before painting. I'd also use a primer before applying the top coat.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Zinsser coverstain is an excellent primer for this kind of problem. There is also a waterbased version (bulls eye 1 2 3) if you are using water based paints.

• HU-501553305
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both for your comments. Much appreciated. I’ll give this a go. Fingers crossed I can get this issue resolved.

• Wumi
    2 years ago

I would sand back and apply Zinsser Bull Eye 123 as Kate suggested then repaint

• HU-501553305
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Wumi Many thanks for your suggestion. I did try to sand back previously but this time I will try sanding again then use Zinder cover stain. Will I need to prime after using the cover stain before repainting?

• Kate
    2 years ago

No the Zinsser is a very good primer. Main thing is to ensure you use 123 if your topcoat is water based and coverstain if it is spirit based. Tins should make it clear. Also follow instruction on for recoating times to get the best result.

• HU-501553305
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Many thanks Kate. I’ll need to check if my paint is water based or spirit based as unsure. It’s a valspar Matt emulsion. The more expensive one that has primer included

• User
    2 years ago

Emulsion is water based

• Kate
    2 years ago

Emulsion is not usually suitable for painting wood - it's used for walls. You will get a better result using a paint specifically for wood.

• HU-501553305
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you

• rob derbyshire
    2 years ago

After much messing around , i now fill gaps/holes in wood with car body filler . Very stable and takes any paint after sanding .

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.