abi_wilkinson

what to replace ugly gas fireplace with

Abi Wilkinson
2 years ago

We’re having engineered wood flooring laid so I need to decide before then. It’s a modest 1960s terraced house, which the past owners have bafflingly decorated in a neo-classical style.

I’m thinking I’d like to leave a hole and tile it, but I’m not sure whether to buy a new surround, just a mantle, or nothing at all. As well as a photo of the existing fire I’ve attached some inspo photos I like (imagine the second without the wood burner) but I’m not sure if they translate well to the style of house.

The chimney is also off centre on the wall in case that affects your opinion. I’d prefer it central but I don’t think it’s the end of the world, thinking of putting in built in cabinets and shelving each side.

I’m a first time homeowner and we completed on this place about a fortnight ago. Want to get it sorted asap so we can move in (I have a baby and toddler so seems easier to get it done in advance) but I’m feeling a bit out of my depth!

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.