webuser_889815374

Does anyone have any experience in buying a kitchen for tall people?

A Way
2 years ago

I don't consider myself to be super tall, but as a 182cm (6 foot) tall woman, I'm taller than average by about 20cms (According to the Office of National Statistics – the average height of a woman in the UK is 5ft 3in - or 161.6cm)

My understanding is that the counter height in fitted kitchens was designed to be most ergonomic for the height of an average woman in the 1960s as this is when they first became popular. The current standard counter height of 90cm is therefore too low and I find it quite uncomfortable to spend any significant period of time prepping meals, cooking, and cleaning up.. and don't get me started on kitchen sinks!

Has anyone in the same boat as me fitted a new kitchen with a raised counter top height? are there any kitchen manufacturers that have taller carcasses to fit in an extra drawer or storage area?

If I did manage to find a solution to raise the counter height by 10cm or so would this be hugely detrimental when I come to sell the property?

I'm sure there are so many people who would benefit from a higher working height in the kitchen!

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.