webuser_756871043

Victorian terrace layout - creating inner courtyard in side return?

HU-756871043
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, first time poster here! I have a typical 3bed Victorian mid-terrace with small narrow kitchen and a "dog-leg" side return off the main 2 reception rooms. A PVC lean-to utility (3m x 1.5m) was added at the rear of the kitchen but I'd like to replace it with a permanent extension. But instead of creating an even longer, narrow side return, would like to extend the full width at the rear. The cost of infilling the side return seems expensive & not worth all the effort, whereas a 4.5m x 3m extension across the back, together with the existing kitchen, would create a good sized kitchen diner. Thinking an enclosed courtyard garden could work in the side return? No-one else on my street has extended like this & not found any photo inspo/posts yet. Any thoughts/pointers/is it a bad idea? Layouts attached for reference. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• minnie101
    2 years ago

Lots of people do this but I’m also struggling to find pics for some reason! Here’s a houzz tour I remembered, it has a raised floor level which will obviously differ but has the internal courtyard. It might be worth looking at the architects work

https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/houzz-tour-an-ingenious-courtyard-lightens-a-victorian-extension-stsetivw-vs~142156310

HU-756871043 thanked minnie101
  • HU-756871043
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@minnie101 great, thanks so much for this link. I'd missed this one. Also google imaging "tsubo house" to see what I can find!

• Rhian Foley
    2 years ago

I've had this exact idea for my house! Will be interested to see yours if you do it. Do you think the cost will be cheaper this way - i.e. without having to take down the wall by the side return.

• siobhanmcgee90
    2 years ago

This is one of the transformations George Clarke featured on a successful Victorian terrace transformation. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zj6LI8Vjg
    Housology dis this amazing transformation also. https://houzz.com/projects/3212243

HU-756871043 thanked siobhanmcgee90
  • HU-756871043
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Rhian Foley hoping so! Meeting with builder & architect next month to see what they say. Will keep you posted if it all does go ahead.

• HU-756871043
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@siobhanmcgee90 thank you for these! Will check out the video. What a transformation in the Houseology project! I was thinking ceiling to floor window at the far end of the courtyard (in the new extension). Love the picture window but might have to keep to existing size window in the 'new' dining room because attached neighbour's house is at a higher floor level, so would have to make sure we'd not be on display at mealtimes! :)

• HU-756871043
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Avril thanks so much for sharing. Wow, it looks like you have a whole extra room! My space is quite a bit narrower, I think - just french doors opening out into side return - but like the idea of turning it into a green space. Glad it survived the storm ok.

• Avril
    2 years ago

Thank you. I wasn’t sure what dimensions you had as the floor plan was a little blurry to read.
    But weirdly ours looked much smaller until we put more in it.

• Katie Duke
    2 years ago

Found these pics which might be of interest - if you click on pic and then click more it brings up other pictures from the same project.

East London Bespoke Plywood Kitchen · More Info

HU-756871043 thanked Katie Duke
  • HU-756871043
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Katie Duke thanks so much!

• pauldrowan
    2 years ago

Avril, would you mind sharing where you got the tree/light from. I think I’d be flavour of the month if I bought my better half a pair of those for the garden. Cheers in advance

• Avril
    2 years ago

Pauldrowan I bought it on Amazon in 2019 as an outdoor Christmas decoration. Here is link as still being sold.

Christmas Concepts® 90cm Pink LED Rose Flower Tree - Garden Lighting - Christmas Lighting - Indoor/Outdoor Use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T3GL768/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_0X58QQ826BQCXTTJBW98?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am not so keen when it is off and it took a far while putting all plastic petals on, but when on it gives a pretty glow so have ended up using it year round.

• pauldrowan
    2 years ago

Thanks Avril

• Hannah
    2 years ago

Hi did you do the internal courtyard in the end? Would love to see pics / plans if so am considering the same thing! Many thanks

• HU-756871043
    Original Author
    last year

Hi @Hannah, sorry for slow reply. After discussing with builders have decided not to do full width extension at the back. Timings/builder availability/costs/drainage issues etc have meant it's far easier & cheaper to stick with much simpler add-on rear extension instead. Not what I really wanted to do but it's not going to be our forever home, so trying to be pragmatic about it! But still plan to use side return space as small courtyard / green space accessed from dining room. Good luck with yours if you do it!

• Hannah
    last year

Thank you, thats really helpful as i think i will likely be in exactly the same situation!! i thought the courtyard was a cheaper option so will be interesting to see what i get told too ;-)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.