jacqueline_horgan

what to do with this unused space?

When doing up our farmhouse we discovered a hole. We decided to make bigger and planned to take it right to floor. However old stone was more difficult to remove and there was concern we could end up dislodging other stone that were needed for support. So as you will see from pics it is quite a bit off the floor. The idea was to make into a den or utilize it for part of my sons bed- we put a spot light in and electric point. Problem was old house- water came in (fixed temporarily.) + damp. My son is now several yrs older, not keen on den or bed there. The space gets used as a dumping ground.
I am now keen to do something with it. As it is an opening we can’t put furniture in front (toy cupboard at low level used to step in) I don’t want to board up as it was a lot of effort making it to what it is. Husband suggests wardrobe/hanging space and storage. This could work but it is so high and deep. I am 5’5 and can stand up in the highest part with a little room spare. My son at present is smaller than me. However we still need to comfortable step in which we can’t at present. If we had hanging across it would need to be nearer the opening- thus a lot of wasted space behind.
Anyone got some good ideas that will look good. Doesn’t have to be wardrobe space but would mean we could get rid of one he has now and free up some floor space. We have no attic either so storage in our home is a blessing.

Comments (6)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.