sezzy_boy

Fireplace fender 1920s/30s renovation?

Sarah Hunter
2 years ago

We are extending and renovating our late 1920s semi and the builders have just uncovered what we believe to be the original tiled hearth (see photo). We were planning on re-carpeting this room (and still want to do it) but we were wondering what to do to make this more of feature. Would appreciate thoughts!

Comments (6)

• Angie
    2 years ago

You could carpet up to the hearth but would have a change in level. Is the area with the log basket a cupboard or a working fireplace? Can’t quite work it out from the photo. Or restore the floor and have a large rug rather than fitted carpet?

• kazzh
    2 years ago

Could you post a picture showing the whole fireplace area? The community  might have more suggestions that could give you a cohesive path forward to incorporate your discovery.

• Richard L
    2 years ago

Re-Finish the boards, assuming they dont have draughts, and a nice Iranian or Afghan rug instead of carpet?

• Sonia
    2 years ago

It does look like a 1920s/1930s hearth, but the fireplace doesn’t look original, what I can see of it anyway. A better picture will certainly help.

• Sarah Hunter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Some additional photos - the fireplace isn't used at the moment but we think it could be converted to use with a wood burner. Had decided to get carpet because it would double as a guest room occasionally but think it would be a shame to cover up the tiles.

• User
    2 years ago

As the tiles are flush with the floorboads, you'll need to use a carpet edge trim around the tiles.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.