webuser_849397162

1970's downstairs renno advise

Samantha Bowman
2 years ago

Hi,
I need some advise on how to improve this layout the rooms are not usable in its current way. As you can see there is no place for laundry and cleaning. We are a young family. 2 adults a 7 year old and a pup. Currently the main room used. Is the room with the Christmas tree. It is the warmest room in the downstairs. There is a bedroom and downstairs toilet off the hall which we are not looking at changing.
I am at a loss at how to modernise this with a modest cost. The house is cold, and needs to be rewired. My plan is to update these 2/3 rooms so we can use the downstairs better. But I have a block on what to do.
Any suggestions and advice are welcomed.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

Hi Samantha, unfortunately I don't see your floor plan uploaded here. I would love to help you, please post a picture of your plan and I will work on helping you

• Samantha Bowman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Many thanks! Images help. I have no floor plans but it's essentially a kitchen diner and a living room dining room area.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

Hi Samantha, I feel that you could improve your ground floor layout deleting the wall that separates the two rooms if possible? This will help you having more space for storage, as well as light bouncing around the two rooms, as well as improving people's flow around the room.

I think your house has a great potential, what we really need to work on is how to improve the space, as well as finding storage option in order to accommodate all your needs. The big windows in your kitchen are amazing!

Should you wish to talk further about your project, please send me an email to info@amuriinteriors.co.uk or visit my website www.amuriinteriors.co.uk

Have a great day!

• kazzh
    2 years ago

In order to be able to think clearly about the space, the space needs to be clear.

A good sweep through to remove unnecessary items, dispose of anything broken and no longer fit for purpose so you can see the rooms in a completely blank state with only the necessary items in the room. For example, the lounge - neccessary items would be the seating and lamps (i can't pick out anything else from the foreground due to the darkness but there may be other items). Items that should be in the kitchen should return to the kitchen, or grouped together by room to be sorted.

Once you have clarity, it will be easier to see and feel how the rooms do, or don't, work. Repost and take pics with the lights on so we can see the full lounge. The community here can often be very helpful with tips and tricks.
    Good luck.

• PRO
    Decóra Cement
    2 years ago

Hi,

I am writing to introduce our company Decora Cement, for your consideration.

We are a London based company dedicated to manufacture, supply and install high-quality decorative Products.

Decora Microquartz is a mineral based decorative finish that can be applied on almost any surface: floors, walls, furniture (interior & exterior).

Click here to see our website!

Decora Cement: Microcement on Living Room Floor · More Info

Decora Cement: Microcement on Kitchen Splashback - Docklands · More Info

Decora Cement: Microcement on Kitchen Splashback - Earl's Court · More Info

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.