ADVICE
Houzz Logo Print

Transform 70s yellow brick exterior of our house?

Mandeep Singh Brar

How can I update the 70s exterior of our house on budget ? Not big fan of cladding.

• kazzh

That's actually a pretty good 70's exterior to work with as it has good proportions. There is a subtle section of feature stone which breaks up the brick work at the entry. The front windows are balanced and there aren't too many sections which helps keep it from looking dated. The rear windows look a bit like a jigsaw puzzle! So it depends on what you are up for ...
    If it's possible to paint, you could soften the windows by going into a sage color range over white. If the sectioning in the windows bothers you, you could change the window style whilst at the same time changing frame color,  a front door change to a more modern door and side panel might be all you need to give a newer feel to the exterior.

• minnie101

I think it’s a nice looking house. I would just change the stone cladding and put in sliding doors or whatever your preference at the back, perhaps making the door a bit taller to align with the left hand windows.

it really depends on what you don't like and your budget though

I might also paint the garage door a dark neutral

• annabellaamy

What sort of budget are you working on ? There are many options:-

Replace/paint windows

Render

Replace/Paint garage door

Replace cladding with a grey washed teak. Also clad over stone to match and replace front door to modernise.

• Michael Mulroy

Saw on TV recently a very similar issue, which they fixed with a permanent stain which subtly darkened the brickwork. Worked very well.

Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.