webuser_401733380

Steps to Self Building a Detach House

Ad
2 years ago

Hi everyone, hope youre all doing well? i would like to have more information about self building. i am considering building a detached property but dont know where to start. Should i get the land first or the plan for the house? How to get people involved in the project (builder, contractors etc) ?

Has anyone had any experience with self built ?

thank you

Comments (5)

• rinked
    2 years ago

bump

• Avril
    2 years ago

Are you in UK?
    I don’t know but I would have thought land first as often that’s hardest to find and may dictate type and layout of house you build.
    Apologies if this is obvious but before you commit to purchase you would need to do other checks.
    Factors such as whether there are utilities on or nearby (gas, electric, water or if they can be provided).
    And whether land is suitable/likely to get planning permission.
    What finance you can obtain if relevant (often staged payments depending on what has been built and may need to buy land outright).

It’s a dream for many to build own house and I enjoy watching Grand Designs so good luck.

I believe there are a number of magazines and also shows which may be able to guide you more.
    I have never been, but here is link to one at Birmingham NEC - there are other locations too.

https://national.homebuildingshow.co.uk

Ad thanked Avril
  • Ad
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you @Avril. Yeah I agree, i have been going through the process of finding a suitable land because it makes no sense to build a house in a busy road or an unsuitable location. Yeah I’ve gone through the Self Build Website and Magazine. Really inspiring but definitely have to be patient and find something suitable 😅

• siobhanmcgee90
    2 years ago

Financing a self-build is the most important first step I believe. Banks typically fund by stage and evidence is required to confirm this before drawing down monies to fund the next stage.

Ad thanked siobhanmcgee90
  • Ad
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@siobhanmcgee90 Thank you for the comment. The finance part of the project isn’t a problem. I have sorted it out, the problem is finding a suitable land within the budget and get things rolling really. All needs to be within the budget

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.