rachael_palmer1

Nursery colours help needed!!

Rachael P
2 years ago

Hi all!

Just trying to decorate our nursery for our baby girl. We’ve decided on a rainforest/jungle theme and picked out some rather bold wallpaper. Problem now is what colour paint to put with it!
We are thinking of panelling the lower half of the wall and wallpapering above. Unsure whether to just do one feature wall or all walls and what colour to go for. I’ve got various green and pink sample paints but so far have found none to be quite right. The room is quite small so I do worry about it looking dark perhaps? But then the pinky shades could look a little tacky and less ‘jungle’ themselves. Any help appreciated!
Thank you ☺️

Comments (26)

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I think this paper is super for a nursery- since the room is small I might reconsider the panelling at the bottom and paper the whole wall- which in turn means it will be at baby height too.

If you do want to paint one (or two walls) consider a deep colour- furniture on that wall will be framed by that colour.

• Wumi
    2 years ago

I too would do a full wall of the wallpaper but treat it as an accent wall and paint the other walls a soft grey, pink or white. Since it’s a small room I would also opt for light flooring to make it seem bigger.

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. I did buy some samples but not convinced by any! Here is what I tried. I was also thinking light flooring but thought I’d better decide wall colour first before even trying to tackle the flooring side of things!
    The nursery above looks a similar size and also very similar layout to what I’m hoping to do. Our nursery furniture is wooden with a subtle grey wash.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Have a look at F&B Cromarty or Mizzle, or Dulux Tranquil Dawn. They are all a very soft grey-green. Love the wallpaper by the way!

• kazzh
    2 years ago

Have you given thought to using the background color of the paper? Yes it's darker and would be in a smaller room but it could a provide you with a warm and cosseting space which encourages sleep,  but be fun with the jungle. The colors in the paper can be highlighted on smaller things, like a red lamp or hanging toy, blankets or floor cushions, cushioning on a rocker...

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I did fancy doing it navy but my husband has completely vetoed that idea! His preference would be a very subtle pink but the pinks I picked up were all the wrong sorts of shade!

• Wumi
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Since you already have grey furniture, I would opt for a warm pale nude/pink.

Lick: White 06, Pink 01

Little Greene: Ferdinand, Julie's Dream

Edit: Get a large sample of the wallpaper to pin to the wall for reference.

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the colour of the furniture x

• kazzh
    2 years ago

Pity about the nix on the dark background ὡ5

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

Completely agree with Wumi's suggestions. it is dark though so just think about how much time will be spent in there during the day.

• Susy Q
    2 years ago

Just make sure that chest is attached to the wall when baby starts to move- it looks ideal for climbing up!

• Susy Q
    2 years ago

Plus paint it exactly as you want this time- when they get a bit older they will have very firm opinions- my little girl wants everything pink (against what I would like!!) whilst my friends little girl wants everything Spider-Man!

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have thought about changing the wallpaper to a similar one but with a white background to make it easier to match things with it!

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

Just thought I'd post this, the dreamiest looking small child's room...

Chelsea Family Home · More Info

• minnie101
    2 years ago

I quite like your panelling idea. What style were you thinking? If you're really keen on sticking to a jungle theme maybe some of the fluted panelling could work as it looks a bit like bamboo? Unless its a narrow room and you paper the short walls, there is a danger of making it feel smaller?

i painted the panelling before I saw your furniture and Wumi’s suggestions but have left as is as albeit perhaps a shade darker and a bit dirtier and peacher as it didnt like being painted!!

i cant photoshop anything white (!) so you could consider an off white canopy and pendant (they also do some cloud pendants which could work or rattan if you want a more grown up feel). Maybe an off white wood effect floor with a pale sheepskin or jute/sisal rug and some fairy lights on the ceiling?

PS the furniture is deliberately short so you can see the panelling! I might also consider a lighter version of the wall colour for the ceiling

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Thank you Minnie! That’s amazing how you did that and yes, very similar to what I was envisioning! Xx

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What did you use to create that? X

• minnie101
    2 years ago

I just used a paint tester on my ipad for the panelling and then photoshop (which I’m sure you could do better than me as i’m useless!)

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don’t have or haven’t ever used photoshop so no, I don’t think i could! Haha x

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is my second option of wallpaper- thinking the white background makes it easier to put things with it and can add colourful accessories. Really can’t decide!!

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I like it. Not so dark and moody as the other paper.

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I actually like the bright and bold however trying to also get things to look right together and not have everything just clashing and look distasteful. The rest of the house is very neutral so making the most of having a bit of colour in the nursery ☺️

• minnie101
    2 years ago

I like the light one too.

Just as an alternative i saw this room and thought you may like it. This particular paper is dear but there are cheaper options. I also love the bedding in the last pic from Pottery Barn but I’m sure there are more colourful versions around

• Rachael P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Funny you should post that as that is sort of where I got the inspo for a bit a of a jungle theme in the first place! It’s a lovely room ☺️

• minnie101
    2 years ago

😂

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.