salsageorgie

Loft extension layout dilemma- help please!

salsageorgie
2 years ago

Hi, it’s my first time posting. I am hoping for some help working out the best layout for a possible loft conversion.

I live in a double-fronted Edwardian house in SE London, end of terrace. Lots of lofts locally have been extended with a dormer, under permitted development, so that shouldn’t be an issue. The extension should just come in at under 40m3. The house has a hipped roof on one side and I think I’d probably convert that to a gable end. Most people have put a bedroom on either side of the central stairs, with a bathroom in the middle opposite them. I’m hoping to do something slightly different. Ideally one bedroom with a reading nook/possible home office area and a bathroom.

I want it to feel spacious, light and airy and use the space cleverly, so it doesn’t feel like lots of nooks and crannies and wasted space. Possibly a walk in wardrobe?

The main limiting factor (other than budget of course) is that the front of the house has solar panels on most of the roof that I don’t want to have removed. This limits where I can put velux windows, and therefore affects light inside the conversion. Velux windows could only go on the front of the roof in the small new area created by a gable end, or there could be windows on the new flat roof part of the dormer. I could potentially put a window in the new gable end as well, which I’d be quite keen to do as it is south facing.

The main question I am wrestling with is where the bathroom would be best placed to be and reading nook/office, to make use of the light and views. I have attached some drafts of plans from the architect. The architect has suggested moving the staircase to make a large open plan space upstairs but I am not keen as I feel this would significantly increase costs and also compromise 2 bedrooms on the first floor. When the staircase is not moved the study area upstairs becomes very tiny and seems quite disappointing. I wondered about the dormer coming out less than 3.6m and then the space being wider? The alternative would be to have the bathroom where the study area is. I was keen to avoid this as I was hoping to have flexibility to put a stud wall up in future so that the upstairs could be 2 separate bedrooms if desired (not that we will need it for that, trying to future proof!)

I have not put measurements on for the wardrobe/ bathroom, advice on sizes would be helpful, taking into account the sloping roof/ ventilation/windows!

I have attached some photos of what I was thinking of re-the bathroom/ walk in wardrobe.

Loft conversion and refurbishment London · More Info

Putney, Loft Conversion · More Info

Really looking forward to hearing your suggestions, particularly with regard to making use of the light and space.

Comments (16)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.