aidanscotland

Painting skirting boards...

aidanscotland
2 years ago

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice, tips or tricks with regard to painting skirting boards and doors...

At present I have pine skirting boards and doors throughout that have been varnished - I have previously painted some parts of the house and to do this I sanded the skirting down, used a primer and then THREE coats of paint (specifically I used Dulux Satinwood Quick Dry). Unfortunately this does still seem to chip and I wonder where I am going wrong?

I have ten bedrooms, two hallways and a lounge diner to be painted and so it's no small task and I want it to last so I was hoping someone may have some advice when it comes to this sort of thing?

I will be using Farrow and Ball (Estate Eggshell) paint going forward, which I have used on the woodwork elsewhere in my house and it doesn't seem to chip as the Dulux does...

I had read somewhere previously about a 'liquid sander' (I think it was called that) - a strong chemical for stripping the top layer (or varnish) from woodwork - can anyone recommend this?

If you need any further information please ask - any help would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Aidan.

Comments (10)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.