debbie_breeze32

Small bedroom for 15 yr old son, blank canvas

Debbie Breeze
2 years ago

My sons bedroom original layout had built in double wardrobe and mismatch furniture which only made the room look a lot smaller than it was. I have knocked down the wardrobe and would really like some design ideas so that my son actually has a decent room to ‘live’ in. The door could be situated anywhere along the wall opposite the window, as it’s a stud wall and not load bearing. At the moment the door is opposite the window and the double wardrobe before I knocked it down was on the left of the door, facing the window wall. Apart from a uk single sized bed I would like at least a single built in wardrobe, chest of drawers and possibly a desk of sorts for Xbox, and school work. I would like storage ideas (shelves) and cupboards to hide all that teenage boys collect.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    2 years ago

Hi Debbie, depending on how much storage does your son needs, I thought these two options would work well. you could get or make a raised bed with a good drawers storage undeneath and then depending on the needs to add either a dresser and a larger desk or smaller desk but have more space then.

option 1

option 2:

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Marina, thank you so much for the work you did on this, the ideas are fantastic! Would you not think it’s an idea to put the bed next to the door running down to the window or does the bed really need to be the focal point? The bed size is a double or small double? Would it still look good as a single?

• PRO
    2 years ago

Hi Debbie. At first I was putting the bed along the wall and it was not enough of useful space, the desk would be a bit too small, no space for clothes etc. If you put the bed across the window you'd have a good space around head of the bed to make a useful shelf for a lamp, book phone, headphones etc. And space near the window for another shelf to run along the bed, for a plant,  maybe space for a radiator etc. I used 135-140cm mattress for this design, to make sure your son has a good size bed. You can put a single size bed also, it will be around 40-50cm extra. What does your son need to have in the room? How much storage,  tv? Computers? Books? Pets, aquarium,  terrarium? Plants?

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Since I knocked his wardrobe down I have his bed along the wall running to the window, and as it sits in the recess slightly it didn’t seem to swamp the room but as it’s to the left of the door it’s not the focal point. I did think about having a wardrobe to the left of the window but having it sideways on so to speak so from the bed you would see the side of the wardrobe and not the front. Then to have a desk and set of drawers underneath the window. But not sure if that would close everything in. My aim is to make the room seem bigger than it is but to have a bed, single or small double, wardrobe, desk for tv/Xbox/school work and a set of drawers for underwear/t-shirts etc. I would like shelves (like you have added) for Xbox games , books and his trinkets/keepsakes, definitely somewhere by his bed for phone and lamp. He’s a boy who likes cosy but not cramped and hopefully once his room is perfect or as near as then he will take pride in it and I can keep the bedroom door open! I’ve shown him your plans, whereas I prefer the option 1 he prefers option 2 as it has more floor space. Both are beautiful and I think you are extremely talented

• faye_lloyd
    2 years ago

Is it worth asking your son what size bed he wants? Teenagers tend to be at the stage where sleeping is the most important thing so a double could be best 😁 also it doesn’t swamp the room with the original design as the desk on one side and the wardrobes on the other balance it. If he has a few mates over there’s also more sitting space with a double

• Clare Burch
    2 years ago

From experience I would definitely go with a double storage bed or a small double as a minimum. I remember my boys at that age needed plenty of “lounging” space, especially when their friends all piled in to play the Xbox!!! I did away with the wardrobe / separate drawers idea as it took up much needed floor space and had a combined one which had a single hanging space with shelves on the other side. Check out Wayfair, they’ve got some good bits, or maybe Onbuy?

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your input. It’s so much easier to visualise when you have the layout in front of you, and done so well. Definitely will be either opt 1 or 2 and a small double bed. Son still prefers opt 2 as there looks like more floor space but I’m still keen on opt 1 it looks warmer to me. What is your feedback on both options? I’m looking to start this project this side of Christmas and once done I’ll post some pictures. I’ll also check out Wayfair or Onbuy, good call!

• PRO
    2 years ago

You can get a ready made bed /storage bed or make your own using ikea Nordli drrawer and some DIY skills https://pin.it/5ZMDSiH

• Mary Krause
    2 years ago

Get at least a small double bed if at all possible, I did that for my son and am glad I did.   Those teenagers turn into men very quickly!

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much Marina your ideas are fantastic and your offer of the discount use is amazing and so generous. I’m taken aback with your helpfulness.

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Mary and thank you, I will be getting a small double for his room and I’m searching for options as we speak. In an ideal world he’d have a bigger room but have to try and make the best of what we have and the ideas are great inspiration

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Marina, on the last layout could you possibly show me the desk and drawers underneath the window? It would be good to see if the wardrobe, if split into a hanging space and tall boy works. The tall boy part being the side that’s sits over/on top of the desk and would a 4ft (small double) fit in the space where the single is? If that doesn’t work then I think it’ll be option 1 but having a smaller desk opposite the wardrobe possibly so it looks like there’s more floor space. Thank you so much

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    last year

Help! Builder starting today and I am completely stuck on where to site the bedroom door .. option 1 or option 2. There’ll be the single bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers and desk, please help. I can’t think of which would work best.

• User
    last year

Option 2 for me

• Angie
    last year

I'd go with option 2, leaves more of the room available for furniture. Option 1 cuts that wall in two somewhat.

• Debbie Breeze
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, all done and took your advice with option 2 .. good call thank you again

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.