tgeo74

Design advise - need help with roof tiles and curtains

T Geo
2 years ago

We are extending and refurbishing a semi-detached house and desperately want some advice. We will be changing the roof tiles, the rendering and windows. Front elevation photo pasted below

The new render will be K-Rend in white or off-white and windows and door will be anthracite in UPVC (white inside, anthracite outside). These are non negotiable as our 12 year old son will have nothing else as his friends all have the same and we cannot afford aluminium so it has to be uPVC :-(

I had a couple of questions and would be grateful for any suggestions

1. Would dark red plain roof tiles go with the anthracite windows? Is there any school of thought says that grey windows should pair with grey roof? I personally prefer dark red or terracotta.

2. Regarding window dressing, we are not keen on shutters and will be using curtains - should we use curtains with a black or dark grey lining instead of the usual white lining? Would this work better with the anthracite windows?

Finally, given that we are not in a conservation area and the property is not listed, would the council have an issue if we replace the existing ugly grey pebbledash render with a smooth off-white render? The whole front ground floor section that includes porch and the two triple windows is new so we will not be able to match the new render with pebbledash anyway so hoping no one objects to it.

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.