geddhedd

Window height opening Building regulations

geddhedd
2 years ago

Hi there,

We are trying to get to the bottom of how high we need to have the opening section of a window.

Our loft company who are due to start the work tomorrow have said we can source any window we want so long as it conforms to building regs.

I managed to get hold of a building inspector who suggested I looked at section K - 8.2.

This is simply a paragraph that states:

Prevention of falls

8.2 Where a person may fall through a window above ground floor level, provide suitable opening

limiters, to restrain the window sufficiently to prevent such falls, or guarding.

To me that's a little ambiguous, and would mean so many windows you see online wouldn't pass building regs. Am I missing something here?

The window we want to install is like the attached images above. The intention would be to have the opening part side hung, to allow a good flow of air through the loft when it's warm. I would of thought it was high enough to avoid a limiter? I have also attached some examples below that by this definition wouldn't pass building regs, and so I wonder how they are allowed to be sold / people get around this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ged

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.