geddhedd

Poll to help decide layout for loft conversion

geddhedd
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi All,

This is a follow up to my previous post about how best to utilise the space in our loft conversion, which should actually now start in the next few days.

I would love peoples opinion about which layout they would choose and why. Any hints, tips and opinions are welcome.

The main point of this loft conversion is to give us a master bedroom which has a good amount of storage and makes best use of the space available. We are doing an L shaped dormer with a shower room as shown. We are comfortable with the showeroom layout unless anyone can spot any glaring errors.

The options for the main room are

A: This was the initial design - I like that it gives us a good free amount of space to the left of the bed which would allow for fairly adaptable function and could change as we need it to. I.E. could place a desk here, or a chair to appreciate the view, or a makeup vanity area, or an excersise area etc.....

The main issue with this is the depth of the storage to the right under the sloping roof, and I worry this may not be practical. But would love to hear of anyone else who has deep strorage and if it is practical or not.

To allow the storage to go full length we have extended the stud wall by the door to incorporate the light switch.

B: Similar to A, but has a built in vanity area for. Less storage obviously. But not sure how much is 'enough' storage?!

C: This was suggested by Rinked on the previous post. Initially I wasn't sure. But the more I look at it the more I warm to it. It makes very sensible use of the wall and nook space, and removes the problem of the super deep cupboard. My main concern would be less 'free/adaptable' space and also just a gut feeling that I would prefer not to be so close to the door and would prefer to have the bed on the Solid wall rather than partition. No sensible logic behind this though and I am starting to lean towards this design.

We would probably have to have a slightly less wide window so the storage didn't eat into the view, but not a huge issue.

D: Same as C, but with the bed under the sloping ceiling. I really like this idea as it faces the view, but worry the gaps next to the bed /cupboard would be a bit tight. and no room for bedside tables.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Cheers

Ged

LOFT LAYOUT IDEAS A.jpg
LOFT LAYOUT IDEAS B.jpg
LOFT LAYOUT IDEAS C.jpg
LOFT LAYOUT IDEAS D.jpg

Comments (14)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.