david_connor13

Ideas for layout of open plan kitchen/dining/family area with utility?

David C
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

We're in the process of buying a new house and looking for some other eyes to help us with our proposed layout changes to give us the open plan kitchen/dining/family area with utility and sliding doors to the garden. The house has been extended at the back with a double storey extension.

Unfortunately the only floorplan we have is a really small photo that the seller took on their phone so I've tried to re-create it;

Original floorplan:

My attempt using smartdraw:

Not exactly to scale but hopefully gives an idea. I've removed the conservatory at the back as we're going to remove this.

Plan:

• Remove wall inbetween kitchen and living / dining room to create a space of approx 6m x 6m
  • The small space in the kitchen next to the shower room will house the washing machine and dryer as a small utility with a door out to the side of the house
  • Remove the shower from the shower room and add cupboards for things like hoover, cleaning products etc. There are two cupboards in here which house the electric and gas meters so can't easily be removed and knocked through to the other utility room to make one bigger utility and separate toilet, which would have been the ideal approach. So now there will essentially be a toilet with cupboards for cleaning stuff and a separate utility off the kitchen for washer, dryer and cupboard foods etc (as well as the dog bed).
  • Not else really that we can think of doing. The kitchen we were thinking would be a linear one across the left wall (due to the lack of space to make it an l-shape), with a large island. The other side of the room would be for the dining table and living area (TV on wall and couch). Would it be worth moving the kitchen to the right handside where we have more of a wall next to the lounge for extra kitchen cupboards?
  • At the back will be sliding doors across the whole back of the room, looking out onto the South East facing garden.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? Our main priorities were open plan kitchen / dining / living area with utility. Strangely struggling to find inspiration from houses with a similar, square layout. Is that wall of units / workspace too long? Should we increase the size of the utility instead? Or maybe stop the kitchen before the doors?

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.