lspendl828

Bedroom update ideas

lspendl 828

I finally talked my other half into dismantling some of the built in furniture in our bedroom - it’s only taken around 10 years but we’re on our way….😁😁😁
It all felt a bit bland before and with so much built in I struggled to see past it. Now though, I’d like to go dark and moody. Tested out loads of colours but settled on FB Mole’s Breath (see the swatches). Having bought the full size tins I’m now questioning whether or not this will be too dark? My thinking was, there’s a whole wall of windows and a whole wall of wardrobe, so surely not??

Having detached the dressing table, I want to replace it with a chest of drawers, maybe, as I never sit down there. Also want new bedside tables. Don’t want to be too matchy, matchy. Any ideas?

Window will be replaced (white inside) so need new full length curtains. Dark like walls? Going for white wooden Venetians.

I would like to update wardrobe but happy to do this in the second pass. Don’t mind taking off beading but what to do with mirrors? Also happy to paint or replace doors ultimately but what colour?

Got so much help in the past, hope you can help this time. TIA Lx

.

• lspendl 828

Before

• lspendl 828

WIP

• Related Discussions

• lspendl 828

Wardrobe

• annabellaamy

It will be lovely !! If you keep your bedding light and also a lighter shade upholstered headboard it will balance out the dark shades. Love the idea of painting the wardrobe too. The mirrors will be fine, just need to replace the handles.

See below for a bit of inspo...

lspendl 828 thanked annabellaamy
  • kazzh

Congratulations on removing the built in over the bed, it makes so much difference to your room! Hope @annabellamy's example gives you the confidence to go with the dark. I agree with Jonathon- braving it will give you a luxurious final room. Go for it!

lspendl 828 thanked kazzh
  • lspendl 828

Thank you for your encouragement. You’ve made me feel a bit braver to just go for it.
    Jonathan, there’s no bay there just a straight wall. Would that make you rethink the ottoman idea? Love the idea of an oversized headboard.
    Lovely inspo pics!
    When painting the wardrobe, would you remove the beading so the doors are flat or would you just paint over it?

• annabellaamy

I would leave the beading on the wardrobes.

Also...do you have to have curtains if you're having venetians? It just looks like it would be quite tight between the window and wardrobe. If you definately do...maybe consider 1 large curtain which is swept to the side near the bedside table.

lspendl 828 thanked annabellaamy
  • lspendl 828

It is quite tight between wardrobe and window but there is just enough space. Think I’d like curtains for their cosiness and texture. Not sure if solid colour or patterned is the way to go? Dark or light?

• lspendl 828

Annabellaamy, would you change the handles to longer ones rather than knobs?

• annabellaamy

You could do a very slim handle fixed horizontally. You'll need to fill in the holes of the knobs and would need to make sure it doesn't look like a kitchen door handle. Or a knob would also look fine. You can get so many lovely ones these days. Really depends on what other metal/wooden features you have in the room.

lspendl 828 thanked annabellaamy
  • kazzh

If you wanted to change the look of the door, it might be possible to replace the beading with a modern square shape and just do an outline.

lspendl 828 thanked kazzh
  • lspendl 828

Not too sure what you mean kazzh. Do you mean a flat beading (rather than the current shape)?

• kazzh

Yes! That's what I was trying to say. 😀 currently the beading divides the door into 2 square sections, which is a little dated style wise. To make it a little more modern in style a flat beading, and just one square following the door shape could be smart and so you don't have a bland, flat run of doors .

lspendl 828 thanked kazzh
  • lspendl 828

I'm liking the sound of that, kazzh. Thank you. It's going to be a weekend of painting walls/ceilings for me :-)

• lspendl 828

Been busy painting, FB Moles Breath, and liking it so far. Haven’t painted the wardrobe yet as I want to pull the rest of the room together so it looks finished. I think I will paint it though.

Some styling questions I’d love your thoughts on…

1. Thinking about navy velvet curtains - would this work? (Pic in comments). If so navy throw and cushions for bed or something else to mix it up?

2. I ordered a light for the living room - took 3 months to arrive and I don’ like it in there! Wondering if I could use it in the bedroom swagged over the bed (pic in comments to follow).

3. Bedside tables/ chest are the remnants of the old built ins. Looking to change although no ideas what to yet. Lamps will change too. Any ideas?

Here’s where I’m at…

• lspendl 828

Curtains/light

• lspendl 828

Also, going to add an oversized headboard but not sure on colour.

• kazzh

​Am loving the color, and the gold throw is absolute luxury!  It's great against the wall color. The white and gold on the bed, against the wall color - stunning. Am thinking the light fitting is a little stark rather than the luxury that you have got going.  How about one of those cream feather, or paper lights? Will be even better when the wardrobes are done.

Am struggling with blue as the drape color - velvet as a texture, yep, that's on the money.  And actually, the old bedsides and chest of draws in cream aren't so bad. A dabble of gold paint, either all over or as a hightlight, to tie them in? Or maybe a blond wood style fir an update?

Either way, you are well underway to realising your room. Congrats.

Bedrooms · More Info

A Contemporary Family Home · More Info

• lspendl 828

The bronze/ gold throw is our existing one. Was going to change it but you’re right, it does work with the new wall colour.
    What colour curtains would you suggest (bear in mind that the window is being replaced, in white, over the next few months).
    I think maybe my new light might be best over the dining table so still looking for something to suit the bedroom. I’ve one of those feather shades in my daughters bedroom so wouldn’t want the same, although I do really like them.
    Thanks for your help.

• Sonia

Loving it so far. I think curtains of a similar shade to your walls will look lovely. Velvet would be wonderful.

• lspendl 828

Thanks Sonia. Could these work (in Steel)? Not too drab??

• lspendl 828

Almost done but not tackled the wardrobe yet - it doesn’t seem quite as objectionable now. Going to leave it til after the windows are changed although I will change the handles to brushed brass as soon as I find some that I like. I can’t decide if I need pictures/something on the walls. What do you think?

• Sonia

That looks fab, beautifully dressed too.

• kazzh

I think think you are done! So calm and restful. Enjoy your boudoir.

PS. I don't think you need any further artwork - the walls will become too busy and move away from the calm feel you have created.

• lspendl 828

Thanks Sonia. Thanks kazzh. I’m loving the new space. Thanks for all the input along the way.

• kazzh

Thank you for the opportunity to make suggestions!

Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.