webuser_578641368

ring mark on timber window board

Becci C
2 years ago

I’ve stripped the dark varnish off and sanded back my window boards, wanting to keep the natural wood colour but i’ve come across this dark ring mark, it looks like maybe a burn or a water stain?

I’ve done a fair bit of sanding but it’s not budging. anyone have any ideas? do i just keep sanding until it’s gone, how deep could it go??

Comments (11)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I had some black marks on my wooden worktop and I had read you can remove the black marks with oxalic acid. It consists of chrystals which I think you mix to a paste with water (it was a while ago) and you leave it to soak. It really does work but you have to wear a builders mask as the chrystals are dangerous if inhaled. I bought the oxalic acid online as I couldn’t find any locally. I hope I haven’t put you off!

• Becci C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks Sonia, I’ll have a look into it. I would prefer a non-toxic method but if no luck with that may have to resort to this!

• Daisy England
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It looks like blue stain as a result of water ingress. If it is blue stain then it will penetrate all the way through the timber so you will not get rid of it.

Unfortunately the only option is Sonia’s suggestion.

• User
    2 years ago

Long shot, but you could treat it like you would a piece of furniture. I had a table that had a similar size water ring on it, that had been there for a few years. I placed a tea towel over it and ironed the water mark out using a fairly low heat on a standard iron . It took about 5 mins of going over but the ring did disappear and hasn’t come back. (About 3 years ago now). I accept that this is completely different to your problem but doesn’t cost anything to try.

• Becci C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks everyone.

bambibear - interesting trick, I think this stain is too old and deeply ingrained for that but useful to know for any future furniture marks!

Oliver - I was actually looking at barkeepers friend as an option so really helpful to know that is mainly oxalic acid. Sounds like that will have to be the answer! will give it a go this weekend!

• Becci C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

slight tangent question, once i’ve (hopefully) got rid of the mark, any suggestions what i should finish the boards with??
    Id like to keep the wood as natural looking as possible, definitely nothing shiny, but keep it well protected. I was thinking of a wax, I’ve used it on shelves before and like the look but I don’t know if it’s protective enough for a window board?

• Anny Banny
    2 years ago

I've had good success with Liberon Wood Bleacher on a similar black ring. It took a few goes with it.

• midwalesparky
    2 years ago

@Becci C you could treat them with either boiled linseed oil or raw. The only difference is that raw takes longer to dry. Put a coat of oil on with a lint-free rag or brush. Not too much. Leave it half an hour and then wipe away the excess with a (lint-free, again) cloth. Repeat 24-48 hours later with another coat. It's an age-old trusted method of preserving wood, smells nice (that's personal, though - I like it, you might not!) and is easy, inexpensive and a lovely way to "feed" wood. Fantastic for protecting wood from the elements outside, too.

• tamp75
    2 years ago

We used Osmo oil on ours - mainly because we had some left from doing our staircase & doors, but it offers good protection. Not shiny but it does change the colour of the wood (warmer & darker) unless you get the white version which I believe lightens the wood slightly.

• Julian Cheese
    2 years ago

Laundry booster such as vanish contains percarbonate bleach and may lift the stain if rubbed in damp with warm water. If that doesn’t work oxalis acid is the tried and tested method. The stain looks like the result of standing a paint tin on damp untreated wood. Osmo oil internal quick drying is the stuff to use once wood is all clean and dry. I have found using an old flannel to rub in two or three thin coats gives the best results (saw this on ‘The Repair Shop’).

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.