webuser_768402840

Full re-wiring, new combi boiler and central heating

HU-768402840
2 years ago

Dear Friends,

Hope all is well. As mentioned, I have bought a three bed house, just got the keys today

It is in need of a full refurbishment, but this post is specifically on central heating, combi boiler and electrical rewiring.

I have cut and pasted excerpts from the EICR report, the discussion with the electrician and excerpts from the building and structural survey.

Could you please advise me on this topic,

Kind Regards

Mel

EICR Discussion with the electrician

1) Here is a few defects mentioned on the report that has failed the EICR.

The fusebox is new but has been poorly installed.

There's no earth for the lights and much more defects.

The sockets are very limited to. Recommended the property to get fully rewired.

---------------

2) Based on previous rewires we have completed in your area the rewire will cost in the region of £3985-£4500 (depending on your specification).

A new boiler will set you back around £2225.

A rewire will take around 3 weeks to complete and we ideally need to start once you have cleared out I.e removed the kitchen, furniture etc

3) The £2225 will just be for the boiler installation. I would need to send our boiler engineer to give you an accurate price.

From previous Central heating installations we charged in the region of £6-7k

As per the building survey

Heating at the property is provided by an ageing floor-standing heating system. This was in working order at the time of survey with hot water available at the taps however, the heating system is very old and we recommend upgrading it for a combination boiler system should be a consideration which would be much more energy-efficient.

Costs Quote –4000

There appears to be an electric water pump installed in the cupboard housing the hot water tank, these items can be noisy when running and can fail within warning, however, it does not appear to be connected currently. You may to have this item checked by a plumber.

HEATING

Heating at the property is provided by an ageing Heatinaire floor-standing heating system. This was in working order at the time of survey with hot water available at the taps however, the heating system is very old and we recommend upgrading it for a combination boiler system should be a consideration, this would be much more energy-efficient.

There is also a hot water storage tank in this location.

No detailed heat loss calculations have been prepared. The system appeared to be functioning adequately at the time of survey with adequate supplies of hot water at the taps.

Systems of this type require regular maintenance and we would recommend that you enter into a service agreement with a local firm of heating engineers and ideally the installation should be serviced prior to you taking ownership.

In view of the complexities of gas regulations and safety implications we recommend the gas installation and heating system is inspected by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

GAS INSTALLATION

The gas meter is located in the garage to the right-hand side in a high-level position. The gas meter is fairly dated but appears serviceable with no major defects. Upgrading this for a newer model should be a consideration

According to the Structural Engineer

The Surveyor considers that the cracking is downward settlement of internal partition walls which he considers common where partitions are supported on floors or where the floor takes other point loads.

We must disagree with the Surveyor as the main cracking which is to the left-hand wall within the rear wardrobe and within the rear wall along with the junction of the chimney and the dividing wall within the front wardrobe is thermal movement due to heat within the chimney breast from the fire situated in the ground floor room.

In this age of property the chimney may not be lined consequently the heat is simply affecting the brickwork lining of the chimney which is causing expansion and contraction resulting in the cracking noted.

This expansion and contraction will also have caused the movement at the junction of the dividing wall with the right-hand wall due to the movement noted in the adjoining walls.

We scrapped some of the plaster back and noted the internal block walls were old clinker blocks which are also more susceptible to cracking and thermal movement

The repairs which have been suggested by the Surveyor are acceptable however cracking is likely to return if the fire is to continue to be used within the lounge area unless the flue is lined.

We would advise that the chimney is checked and if it is not lined as we suspect then a liner should be installed in accordance with current regulations.

The gas fire which we noted within the room is an old Radiant gas fire and we would also advise a Gas Safe Registered Engineer checks this over prior to any use as currently we would condemn it.

Comments (30)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Hi, most of this is way above my head but one thing I do know is you can get an upgraded smart gas and electric meter for free with many energy providers, so if have the time and inclination have a look on Martin Lewis’s website where he lists the best energy providers and whether they supply a new smart meter for free. His website is www.MoneySavingExpert.com.

HU-768402840 thanked Sonia
  • Jonathan
    2 years ago

It seems to me that you have had professional advice from more than one place. They all agree that you needs to:
    1/rewire the house
    2/replace the heating and hot water system.
    3/repair the upstairs cracks.

This means you need an electrician to rewire, a heating engineer to install a new boiler and you need a general builder to repair the crack.

Before any of these professionals start you need to do some clearing out work and an end plan (so if walls are coming down then it will influence the end position of radiators and sockets. You should probably have a kitchen plan in mind as well as you will need power for the oven and dishwasher. You might also think about if you will want power in the garden too.)

Assuming you are no longer considering getting a general builder to take on the whole job you may want to get a general builder in first to take down the dining room wall, strip out the kitchen and wood cladding, carpets etc. You may want to plan ahead at this stage- so if you intend to get new internal doors, new banister or take down the wall to the Conservatory now and upgrade the conservatory roof then now is the time to do it.

Since you have now have the keys and started paying the mortgage you need to get the trades lined up and get started.

Congratulation on your new house- it’s now time to make it into your home.

HU-768402840 thanked Jonathan
  • Becci C
    2 years ago

great advice from Jonathan, definitely get your end plan sorted before electrics and plumbing start so you're not paying again later for things to be moved!

the rewire cost sounds about right to me at £4k (hubby is an electrician) but you should try to get 3 electricians round to quote. (and dont necessarily just go with the cheapest, make sure you're happy with them and what they're saying, its very important to have trust in your tradesmen!)

same for central heating, aim for 3 quotes. getting someone big like british gas in for a baseline quote is sometimes a good start. new combi boiler at our old house total cost was £3k, this was a few years ago, would probably be closer to £4k now.

and when you get your quotes, find out how soon they can do the work. we phoned a plumber today to get our boiler replaced at our new house, and he's not free until early next year, so you should get making some calls asap!!

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Given you will need the heating engineer to also supply and fit radiators I think you should anticipate the heating costing £5,000-£5,500

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Jonathan

So rewiring - around - 4500

New combi boiler - 2500

Heating+ radiators - 5500

— — around 12500

Phew

Still to go

Kitchen 13k

taking down the wall with rsj 1500

New roof for conservatory 4500

Paint 3000

Carpets 5000

strip everything down 5000

still

loads of unknown 10 k

So looking at around 50k

Okay, fingers crossed–

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I think you will find the cost of the heating and radiators and hot water (including the boiler) will be £5/£5.5k so that’s a bit better than you were thinking.

Also I think that two labourers will strip out the house in 2/3 days. That means the cost of that manpower will be £750 plus the cost of skips which will be £200 each. So the strip out should be £1250-1500.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

If you are still at the planning stage you should consider if opening up the conservatory to the kitchen might be worth considering.

In my opinion (now we know you intend to make it a proper room with a new roof) a super kitchen/living area that is connected to the garden is on everyone’s wish list and will add far more to the value than updating the utility room, moving the loft hatch, boarding the loft, replacing upstairs carpets and buying new wardrobes.

If it were my house I would be seriously considering moving the kitchen (which given you are already rewiring us not as big a deal as you may think.)

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-the-green-homes-grant-scheme

Some people are currently considering AirSource Heat Pumps as an alternative to a gas boiler. ASHPs are lots more expensive to buy but bills will be much lower and there are grants available to help offset the initial cost.

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jonathan,

Your plan to make the super kitchen by knocking down the wall and putting a proper roof to the conservatory is great.

However, as a newbie I just don’t seem to have that confidence as I worry too much

Some of my worries are

1) I know the wall between the diner and kitchen is non load bearing and will require max a RSJ. I even got a structural engineer to confirm this.However I’m not sure of the outer wall. As before they built the extension it was the outer wall? So could be load bearing?

That is my biggest worry, of doing some structural

damage

2) I most likely will have to get planning permission from the council

3) Calthorpe estate will definitely want to be informed and will need their permission too

4) Not sure of the cost implications

Otherwise, if I had a magic wand, would go for this super kitchen

Just that I have anxiety and as a newbie got limited/ fixed resources

So just fear and worry about the unknown

Hope you do understand

Although deep inside Im

tempted

Regards

Mel

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very tempted now...I probably had a mental block, need to think of this as well as start by getting a structural engineer to have a look?

The was one who came around last time, seemed pretty knowledgeable

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Alternatively you can charge your general builder with using their contact for structural calculations and getting building regs for the work.

Be clear from the outset that you will only pay the final balance to the builder once you are satisfied that the councils building regs people have signed it off.

Personally I would also be asking the builder to build the roof a little higher in order to have a ceiling height at the garden end of the room that is no lower than in the main house.

• sarh123
    2 years ago

If you have to do a complete rewire and new heating system now is the time to do the changes suggested by Jonathan - it significantly improves rather than just fixes the house so is much better value.
    Personally I would now ask electricians and gas fitters (look at GasSafe register, FB/Nextdoor groups, ask a local plumbing supplies co, perhaps Calthorpe for names) to come round, quote for the essential work and discuss the proposed changes (eg to kitchen position)- this should put your mind at rest that these are straightforward changes for them when done as part of a major refurb.
    I would also ask them for details of any local builders they work with and try those builders. You’ll still need to take builder references, but it would give you trades who trust each other and work together (and hopefully could communicate on timings) but who quote just for their own work. This is also sometimes cheaper than having a single contractor if you have small traders who are not registered for VAT.
    I wouldn’t keep going back to structural engineers - builders should know what can be done in principle and then you involve the engineer only once you decide you’d like to do the work. In my experience builders like to use engineers they know so they can call them with any queries during the work.
    Finally, you need to be clear with the trades what you’re asking them - the gas engineer and electrician should be able to go round the house and advise and quote on the essential changes and then you have Jonathan’s drawing for initial discussions on the improvement work. You’ll need a second visit for a fixed quote on the non-essentials you decide to do before going ahead on anything.

HU-768402840 thanked sarh123
  • sarh123
    2 years ago

Agree with Jonathan about final payment being based on building regs sign off. Also gas and electrics (and any new windows) need to be subject to issue of formal documents to comply with regs- lack of GasSafe, FENSA certificates etc cause problems on house sale. A couple of other tips: don’t be tempted to let gas/ electrics start until you have decided exactly what you’re doing as you may then duplicate work, and read up on boiler types before the engineer comes.

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very helpful and will boost my confidence.

Thanks Jonathan and Sara 123

A small set back yesterday as I couldn't get the keys. Apparently the conveyance lawyers have asked a few more questions/searches, as it's a probate case. So he says, these are routine, but will take a little more time, how long don't know

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Ok- less money on mortgage and more time planning is a good thing.

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very true, although hoping to get it and get over it...

Do probate cases seem more complicated? I hope there are no surprises here

Also my mortgage offer ends this month. I am not sure if there are better deals out there or to stick with YBS and try and renew it. I found the application process quite cumbersome and as an agency worker, there are several banks which skip us. Only after you have filled in the forms and done all the searches!!

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Stick with YBS and see what they can do. Likely it will be almost exactly the same as you have but without the hassle of finding an alternative lender.

And yes probate can go on for a very long time. To be honest I’m surprised your solicitor has a contract to work on. Has the solicitor given you an idea of timescale?

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And yes probate can go on for a very long time.

Oh noooo

Been 5 months as of now

How much longer can it take 😢

I keep emailing everyone and last week it seemed like everything was done and dusted and this week it’s like

‘some delays but nothing unusual, all fine’

No, never seen any actual paper work

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Should I be worried?

How long can it take?? max

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just googled it

In general, probate takes between six to twelve months. However, many factors affect how long the probate process is, meaning without knowing the circumstances of the individual case, asking how long probate will take can like asking how long is a piece of string.

darn

I will speak to the agent again

He always sounds positive and cool

hmm

• Wumi
    2 years ago

Since you’re updating your heating system, it‘s worth looking into government renewable heating grants/incentives. Future-proofing your property for the eventual switch from gas powered boilers. Worth a try!

HU-768402840 thanked Wumi
  • Jonathan
    2 years ago

I think you should get your solicitor to have a chat with the sellers solicitor to get a better idea of timescale. A few years ago I offered on a house requiring probate- after four months probate was granted and a contract was finally issued. A contract is the thing a solicitors works on, they normally only apply for local authority search when they have this… the point being that normally there is 8 weeks of solicitors work after probate has been granted so whoever has set your expectation that you are about to get they keys might be inexperienced or not have the full story and you should satisfy yourself.

• sarh123
    2 years ago

I’m not a solicitor but I’d have thought they should have got probate organised before marketing the house. I’ve been executor and got everything organised before marketing and so it was really quick to complete as there was no chain. I don’t understand how you were expecting the keys and now they’re doing more searches. In your position I would ask your solicitor (not the estate agent- they represent the seller not you, so always be careful what you tell them) to establish exactly what is outstanding and then explain it to you with expected timescales- you can then assess whether you need to extend your mortgage offer. If it’s just minor things (eg executors often can’t answer standard conveyancing questions) then you can look at how important they are and alternatives (eg insurance policies can sometimes deal with missing documents). Check with the solicitor that he has everything on your side too (eg final mortgage documentation).

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay,

Will do

As a newbie probably got caught out on this probate thing

I thought the lawyers would look after it and I would concentrate on the refurbishment part

Will speak to the estate agent first thing in the morning

He is usually very helpful and upbeat

Last time he seemd postive, saying there were just a few ’council checks’ all is sorted

Nothing major

Hmm... will speak to him in the morning

thanks

• sarh123
    2 years ago

You should speak to your solicitor not the estate agent. It’s your solicitor who should know and understand where you are in the process. The estate agent is working for the seller not for you and will not necessarily know and/or divulge all the information you need!!

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I agree with sarh123. If it’s the Estate Agent telling you you are about to complete they seem misinformed and so phoning them this morning is pointless. Speak to your solicitor for a realistic answer.

Given you have already faced significant delays that have inconvenienced you and given you have demonstrated your commitment to buying the house by spending on surveyors and structural engineers it may now be worth asking for something from them. I would be stating that you will want 4 weeks between exchange and completion in order to line up trades to do the required modernisation.

• sarh123
    2 years ago

Agree with Jonathan, but just thinking about timescales - if you want to use your existing mortgage offer you might want to see if you can get everything processed to meet that. But if extending that isn’t an issue you might as well have a few more weeks mortgage free!! Also a lot depends how sought after the house is- my daughter has just purchased and we had to just accept everything the seller suggested as they had plenty more buyers waiting.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Agree with sarh123

• Karla George
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but if you're still looking for advice on your central heating, combi boiler, and electrical rewiring, I've got some tips for you. Based on the excerpts you shared, it's clear that these areas need attention. To address the electrical issues, it's crucial to hire a professional electrician to properly install a new fusebox and ensure proper grounding for the lights. Fully rewiring the property might be necessary. Even though the thread is a year old, https://dynamicheatandcool.ca/ can still assist you with your heating and cooling needs. Reach out to them for professional guidance and services.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.