swaroux

How to remove a yucca tree stump

swaroux
2 years ago

We had a mature yucca tree felled from our garden back in the Spring and had stump remover applied to it. I'm not sure how old the tree was - perhaps 10 years - and reached 3-4 metres in height (perhaps more?! it was the same height, even taller, as my two story home). The tree stump has been sending up new shoots all summer so we decided to remove the stump altogether as we want to landscape the garden. My husband has currently spent 8 hours trying to dig it out and it is like a continuation of the trunk below ground - just a chunky thick mass of tree trunk! He's dug almost 120cm deep and the trunk is not budging in the slightest. We have no idea how deep this thing could possibly be, and the soil has turned to clay at the depth he's current reached. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the effort to keep trying to dig this thing out? Any advice appreciated.

Comments (5)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Hire a guy with a stump grinder, most tree surgeons do this as an extra. I had the stump of a large tree ground out and he did an amazing job. Just left a pile of sawdust. You can hire grinders but I think hiring someone to do it will be safer.

• 1shanson
    2 years ago

Wow that’s some stump after just 10 years. Using my gardening experience, I would chain saw out what you have exposed then drill holes in the remaining stump and pour a glyphosate solution in to finish it off. I would then fill the hole. Hope that helps.

• Sarah U-S
    2 years ago

Hi - we had an almost identical one outside our front window. We did pretty much what 1shanson is suggesting. My Dad said we wouldn’t get rid of it and we would have yuccas sprouting everywhere - but it worked!!!! It took a lot of time and effort from my husband, but we saved a fortune. It’s now 7 years on, and I can confirm it has definitely gone. (Thank goodness!) Photos of before, during and after (albeit 7 years ago!)

• swaroux
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thank you so much for comments so far! hiring someone with a stump grinder seems really expensive, having received a few quotes recently. there's also some limitations around access to the garden for the right kind of machinery. the depth that we've dug to are beyond what a hand-held stump grinder is capable of removing. my husband has continued to dig a bit more and the trunk is current 1.5 metres deep from ground level, with no signs of an end, it's truly relentless! the tree must have been more than 10 years old i suspect. i think we will try to saw down what we've exposed and apply a glyphosate solution as suggested here. i hope the yucca will finally stop sending up shoots after this. thanks again!

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Good luck! Our stump grinder man charged £90 to remove our stump but that was a few years ago.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.