webuser_616261389

Help does anyone have any suggestions?

Sophie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are in a very difficult situation. We had estimates earlier in the year for a modest 2 storey extension(see proposed plans), all four estimates were between 70-75k including vat (without kitchen, bathroom, floors or decorating). Since securing our planning and remortgaging our house the quotes we have now been given are between 105-113k (without kitchen, bathroom, floors or decorating) which we can't afford this and even if we could we don't think our house would be worth that investment at the end. We are now stuck with a fixed mortgage for 5 years. We feel really frustrated and understand that building materials have gone up in price but surely not by 50% in a matter of months. We have a 2 year old and a 1 year old and our current set up just doesn't work for us. Our kitchen is tiny which means we can't see the children properly whilst cooking or in the garden and we have to do our washing outside in a small outbuilding (see plans). Storage is a big issue for us. We also don't have central heating either and our bathroom needs ripping out. We have a large garden which we would like to be able to utilise more. Does anyone have any clever ideas of how to use the space we have and be able to utilise our large garden? Our original budget without finishes was £82,000 (but is obviously much less if we don't do any building work) Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.