Opening back wall and vaulting ceiling/velux windows

Coldwater

We're considering adding velux windows to our kitchen diner, above our table. The kitchen area has another floor above it but the dining space has just loft space above, so we believe it to be possible.
It has crossed my mind that perhaps we could vault the ceiling, either exposing the beams (this part of the house dates to 1700s) or having it as open space without beams. Both scenarios would include velux windows.
Looking for advice - do you think vaulting the ceiling is possible and worth it for such a small area? Would it look silly? Would just roof lights be a better option?
The second thing I'm considering is opening the wall with the two windows and door. I don't think we have the space for bi-folds to open due to a side gate being in the way and French doors would just blow all over the place in wind. The door we have gets used a lot and the position of it is ideal, so I wondered about sliders, but then we have no where for the cat flap!! Is there an alternative suggestion I'm missing? I'd love to see the garden more and have more light. Not too fussed about having a massive opening as I don't think it would get used much as that wall doesn't get much sun.
The room is north facing.