angm47

An idea we had to deal with brick dust

Angie
2 years ago

Just posting about our idea in case it’s helpful for anyone else.
Our Edwardian house has uPVC windows and we are having them replaced with wooden sash windows (shout out to The Sash Window Company) at the beginning of September. When the current windows were put in the sash boxes were stripped out and the gap infilled with brick so we’re having to remove all that ready for the window installers. Mr is doing the work himself, being retired and having the time, skills and tools to do it. Having done what’s needed in the sitting room we were left with exposed bricks at each window which is where our idea came in. To minimise the amount of brick dust so we can use the room between now and window installation we taped lengths of wallpaper lining paper over the bare brick. Not overly pretty but at least we can use the room. And very inexpensive. I’ve still got the curtains to put back up but I ran out of energy! Our bedroom is next week’s task, so it’ll be time to decamp to the guest room. But using the same wallpaper lining technique we’ll be able to use the room once the bricks are out.
And once the windows are in it will be time to get those rooms decorated, although with another grandchild due in September and my retirement in October it could be a while before we start on that. We have lots of ideas for the sitting room, but haven’t given a thought to the bedroom as yet.
Pictures show the exposed brick and the journey to the reinstated room. Btw we love the quirky shape of the room with the fireplace at an angle. Our bedroom is the same shape, without the bay window, and our bed backs onto the chimney breast. Took me ages to get used to waking up at an angle to the walls when we first moved in! 😂
PS the low bookcase behind the Chesterfield doesn’t belong there but needs to be there temporarily. It’s usually the other side of the bay window.

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.