jaydigs

Which wall would you mount the TV on?

Jason Digs
last modified: 2 months ago

Dear Houzz Community,

I am in the midst of renovating inside and recently removed the Chimney breast from the small living room. I was wondering if you could offer your advice on what wall the new flat TV (65") would best go on. Here are some images taking you through a clockwise direction:

This is just an image as I stand at the entry door to go into the living room:

This is the wall for the window. Of course the TV will never go here but I just wanted to show where the light would be coming from.

This is the wall that next to the window wall. If I mount it here, I think a two 3 seater sofas would need to go opposite of one another. One along the radiator under the window wall and one along the wall that has just been plastered. Only caveat here is one would need to tilt left and right to watch the TV.

This is the wall where the Chimney breast used to be and is now plastered. This looks like an ideal placement but the window is directly opposite. Will light reflect on the TV screen? If the TV was mounted here then I would go for two three/two seater sofas. One running along the window wall and one running along the wall next to the window.

This is the final wall directly behind the entry living room door. Feels like a small space and dont feel it offers the space.

FYI, I am not sure if this will make a difference but I am thinking of changing the direction of the entry door so it doesn't open towards the right (where the clock is mounted) and instead hinging it to open towards the left (direction of the window wall).

• kazzh

Since you currently have the TV in a unit, it is moveable. You might need to purchase some additional antenna cord to extend around the room but you could move the unit around to test out the possible locations for reflection and furniture location before fixing in place. I know it's popular to wall mount TV but somehow I prefer the flexibility of unit so furniture arrangements can be change up if I feel like it, or if pieces change.

• Jason Digs

Hi Kazzh, thanks for your response. That TV will be going in the picture. It will be a new much larger TV and was hoping to learn what wall was best to place it on.

• Related Discussions

Object to mount on wall over granite/stone fireplace

Q

Start searching barn sales, antique stores. Could you post a photo? Could do plates. Could look for an old door.
    ...See More

Need help for small family room/tv room

Q

Mary, can you provide a rough plan showing measurements, windows, entrances/exits (with doors or not), and where the stove is situated? Are you starting afresh with furniture, or is there anything already there that should stay? Pics of the room would also be a huge help.
    ...See More

TV over stove/fireplace

Q

I'd advise against it as the wall above stoves gets really quite hot - to the extent that in our last house we actually took the picture down from above the fireplace as my husband was worried about the effect of the heat on the print. You'll also get a small amount of smoke escaping the stove when you open the door to add logs, and that will go straight upwards too and there won't be any mantle to intercept it. So I doubt any sort of electronics will be happy there.
    ...See More

Suggestions on Colour, sofa and tv placement.

Q

It feels bland because floors and walls are beige. (ish). If you want to make a statement about a room. contrasting shades work really well. You have spotlights so the south aspect is irrelevant. Put a dimmer on spots if not already there so you control the light and feel of a room. I presume the fire is staying there so that back wall would be perfect for TV to be put on/entertainment system. Corner couch facing tv wall with chaise lounge on fire side. Behind the corner or L shaped couch, table and chairs so the room is functional for entertaining also and the layout is proportional. The room also has a focal point (TV)
    ...See More
  • Richard L
    last modified: 2 months ago

Where do you sit?

Where do you naturally gravitate to when entering the room?

Do you look through the window? - is the view/light important?

I'd work out where I want to sit first, then put the TV somewhere in that eyeline

If you're not sure - leave the tv on the unit for a while and move it around once a week - might solve itself?

+ Note - 65" is a monster...

No harm in downsizing, I just downsized from 55" to 43" in a 5mx5m decent sized room - turns the living room back into a living room. (De-escalate the TV size war).

• Sarah L

Um, a 55" screen would be too big for that room. Adjacent to the window, on a stand, would be my suggestion, to avoid reflections from window.

• Jason Digs

Thanks Guys. In my opinion 55 is too small. I could go as high as 75 in a room that size.

Appreciate your responses

• Sarah L

If you're sitting 10 feet away. Is it a living room, or a TV room?

• Jason Digs

A living room. I measured the furthest point a person could be sitting on the sofa from the wall next to the window and it's about 9ft.

The screen I want is the LG wallpaper TV, which is thinner than an iPhone.

On the flip side, the closest person would be sat too close but I think 65 isn't too bad. I could move down to 60 if they do it.

• pjdklm

I just googled the TV....wow! And I thought my TV was thin 🤣 There isn’t much point in getting that TV unless you are going to flush mount it as designed, and ideally installed by pro electricians and plasterers/decorators. I would suggest you create a paper version of the TV with the same dimensions, and then try out different positions by taping it to the wall. When you finally settle on it, leave that in place for the installers so there aren’t any mistakes. (On another note, I would recommend switching the door to open against the wall. It does make a difference to how open the room feels.)

• kazzh

Really would test out your placement with a mockup - which is what I was trying to suggest. I realised your plan was to up size but your current tv could help show up reflection, how light and reflections can change thoughout a day, and how furniture would relate to the TV position. By the sound of things this is quite an investment in a TV and placement will be important to ensure you enjoy your room.
    Your conversation here is telling me you are creating quite a man cave of which the focus will be the TV, as against a room that encourages conversation and interactions - room purpose also contributes to placement decisions. Good luck !

• Jason Digs

Thank you friends. Your advice and responses are great. I really liked a look similar to this. I don't have that space but was thinking like a dark grey velvet two or three seater each side (one against the plastered wall and the other against the radiator). I doubt I'll get the space to have those niches but I might be lucky.

The wallpaper LG is something I have been dying for a while. It will be a show piece in the room for sure. It's super super super thin and looks like someone has drawn an image on the wall as opposed to hanging up a TV

• Sarah L

That's an expensive telly. Whatever floats your boat, but personally I wouldn't want a big black screen to dominate my living room. Or does it display art when not in use, like the Samsung Frame?

• AM

If you position your sofas facing each other as in the photo, then surely they can’t both be facing the TV?

• Jason Digs

Correct.

You would need to tilt left or right depending on which side you are sitting on.

• Laura

If having a big telly is important to you then surely you want to sit opposite it, not at an angle?

Get a piece of chalk and draw it out on the walls. We did that and ended up going down from 65” to 50”. No regrets.

Glare from the window will be a factor too, so either get decent blinds that can be used in the day or put the telly on a wall adjacent to it and not opposite.

• AM

Something else to consider is that sofas take up a lot of space, the most comfortable ones are very deep. Not sure your room is big enough for two?
    I also agree about the TV being too large for your room. A big TV is great but not if you’re sitting too close to it!

• Stuart

So much talk about the TV and no mention of speaker placement?
    Nothing bothers me more than people spending big money on a TV
    and then cheap-out by buying a sound bar or even worse - nothing.
    Budget for a decent AV amp from Yamaha or Denon and then plan
    the cabling and placement. I’d go for a 5.0 set up as a minimum.
    At this point you may as well run some Cat6 Ethernet cable.
    The more runs the better - minimum of two.

• Jason Digs

Hi Stu, this is where I've messed up. Years ago, I bought the KEF series set. I went for bookshelf speakers - 4 X R300, 1 x R200C and the R series Sub. I have all the stands and Odyssey cabling.

The issue is that this was bought at a much bigger house and im not sure how all that would look like in a small room.

I want the room to feel airy.

The other thing is that the wallpaper TV comes with a Harmon Kardon soundbar. All the inputs are on the sound bar.

• Stuart

Well I’m glad you’re coming at this from a position of knowledge and experience.
    I’m surprised there isn’t a media box option, rather being forced to take the HK soundbar
    and would would seem a waste to just line it through and not use it. Unless you have a massive
    budget for in wall speakers I’d always go for floorstanding speakers. Bookshelf (or stand mount)
    speakers normally sound best on stands, and they cost money and you end up taking up more space than
    a small set of floorstanders. Forget the sub, in a room that size with decent fronts you can do without.
    You can always get smaller, slimmer (or coloured) solutions for the rears, or possibly place in the ceiling if you’re not going to go full Dolby Atmos later. Good luck sir!

• Jason Digs
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Morning Everyone,

Sorry for the late late response on this. Firstly thank you for all the comments.

I wanted to explore one more option and seek your advice please.

What if I ignored the wallpaper TV as mentioned below, built a flush wall across the area/side where the TV is right now (last picture)?

I could then put one sofa against the opposite wall and another against newly plastered chimney breast wall.

Would that be the best way to maximise the space of this small living room?

This is what I mean:

• Tanya LLewellyn
    4 days ago

I like the idea of straightening out the wall for the telly, but I would make the most of the space by creating niches for your media units. You don't want flatten out the wall and then put stuff in front of it- just makes the room cramped.

• pannacotta
    3 days ago

I think a TV In the alcove would be good but I would simply build a cupboard for the TV to sit on or above and have any of the extra tech hidden in the cupboard, unless you are still having the wallpaper TV, in which case you may as well build out the wall, but still have some storage created within the void (below the tv).

• Jason Digs
    3 days ago

Hi Lola, thanks for adding this comment. I'm highly inclined to agree with you but the thing that's annoying me is that right side wall with the clock on it. That's a solid brick wall.

I love the idea of having that new fake wall built with sunk in niches/compartments on the left, top, bottom and TV in the middle.

But the right side is going to look strange as there no symmetry with the left side AND I can't cut into the right side brick wall ....or....can I?

I want the whole wall to be flush with niches but want that symmetry with top, bottom , right and left.

Any ideas how I can achieve that?

As I think out loud, I could ignore niches on the left as I can't do anything on the right and simply put niches on over and below the TV. This way you have symmetry on all 4 sides. So in summary:

Above TV sunk in niched compartments
    Below  TV sunk in niched compartments
    Left side of TV blank OR pictures hung on them? 
    Right side of TV blank OR pictures hung on them?
    TV sunk in the middle.

I'm not sure I like the blanked sides or hung pictures. With pictures you would have items protuding on the right/left sides whereas all other sides including the TV will be sunk in. Confusing on the eye?

Any other ideas on how I might be able to combat this?

• Jason Digs
    3 days ago

Lol I wasn't good at art bht maybe something simple like this Lola?

• Yvo Goodson
    2 days ago

That is such a blokes dilemma. How big a tv can I have. 😂. Why don’t you go navy instead of grey for your sofas. Much warmer and more inviting.

Jason Digs thanked Yvo Goodson
  • Tanya LLewellyn
    2 days ago

You don't need your storage to be symmetrical - see pic below for idea (obviously not using units but making niches/built-in cupboards etc)

Jason Digs thanked Tanya LLewellyn