Is this a reasonable

quote, for an average

3 bed house

Please advise

thanks in advance

Comments (5)

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Depends if you are living there…… if it’s an empty shell and floors can come up easily the cost of the rewire should be £3/4K. On top of rewiring is the cost of replastering.

The cost can easily double if the house is full of furniture.

HU-768402840 thanked Jonathan
  • HU-768402840
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Jonathan,

The house should be an empty shell by the time the rewiring starts. Sorry for sounding silly, but is the rewiring done through the walls or floors?

The plaster anyway will have to come down. I have been quoted 800£ to strip down the wall paper and re plastering has been quoted separately as 2K

So 6000£ is solely for rewiring, which I find a little expensive.

Plus a new combi boiler and central heating has been quoted at 4500£

As a newbie, I don't mind paying for all this to one builder, who would then supervise the individual jobs. As long as it sounds reasonable. Alternatively I probably will end up have to chase individual tradesmen and as a newbie could be easily ripped off individually !!

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

If it were my house I would want the rewiring bill to be around £3/4 k. However it’s worth paying more if you get certain things…..

There is a lot to be said for having a builder who coordinates the trades and ensures work is done on time and meets regs…… having a job done quickly so you can move in is invaluable. And your quote might include some things that are not apparent- for instance a home alarm or lots of ceiling spotlights or power to the garden or high quality switches and sockets.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

And some parts of the country are more expensive too- particularly around London

• PRO
    Earl & Calam Design and Build Ltd
    2 years ago

If the prices you are quoting are to a main builder who is delivering the whole project, then it sounds reasonable. Hard to say specifically as dont know how many spot lights and electrical points there are, but sounds reasonable. The good thing going with a builder is they make sure everything is done, where as things can be missed or not done and then you have additional costs.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.