beth_pearson43

Internal kitchen in tenement flat- how to improve?

Betty Pea
2 years ago

Hello everyone, I have a pretty common situation of an internal kitchen that’s been created to be adjacent to a living room in a tenement flat. I’m saving up to make improvements, which I have some ideas for but I feel there may be a genius idea out there I haven’t thought of or seen before.

Given the size of the kitchen, storage is obviously one issue, but I’d also like to make it feel less of a dismal cooking warren.

The improvements I’ve thought of:

• removing the lowered ceiling so cabinets can run higher up the right hand wall and there’s more of a feeling of space
  • installing a bi-fold windowed door (in similar style to original Victorian doors in rest of flat)
  • relocating the washing machine to a cupboard in the hall
  • widening the doorway (I’ve seen some unconvincing cases of this so err on the side of not..)

In terms of decor, I like light and bright anyway so plan to get a Plykea (or similar) kitchen, bright flooring. Not sure what the best lighting is for internal kitchens, again to avoid dismal warren feel..

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Comments (14)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.