tashvin_ramdarshan

Kornich roof lantern size

Vinny Eckles
2 years ago

Hi all

I am doing a single storey kitchen extension that will be 5.5m wide, 3m long and 3m high (2.85m at eaves)

I will install a French door that is 2.4m high and 2m wide and a kitchen window that is 1.3m high and 1.6m wide.

I have a south facing garden but friends who have done extensions have advised it is still worth installing either one or two kornich skylights.

I live in a terraced house so am worried about privacy with skylights but also respect my friends opinion when they advise rooflights are still recommend for light.

I am therefore thinking of either:

Option 1) One big Skylight
1m x 2m

Or

Option 2) Two small skylights
1m x 1.2m

What Option would you choose?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• bbsb_2
    2 years ago

Hello Vinny Eckles,

Thanks for your posting.

You raise an important question and point out that your new extension is south facing. May I share with you my recent experience of a similar project in south London.

For weathrproofing the roofligts will need to be fixed to a pitched roof, probably at least 17 degrees, preferably 22 degrees. You mention overflooking which is relevant to rooflignts as it is with a skylight. I would suggest two rooflights may be better, they will come with integrated blind (for privacey) which can be remotely operated ie, Velux rooflights.

With my recent extension, about the same size as yours, i found the book: www.KeithJamesClarke.com very useful. Have a look Case Study C9 – it addresses the issues you raised and shows 2 rooflights, one to the shower room and the other to the lounge/study together with assorted drawings.

All the best to you and good luck with your project!

BBSB_2

• Vinny Eckles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your comment.
    Very informative and I’ll have a think about it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.