jonny63

Landscaping project - the finer details

jonny63
2 years ago

We’re having our garden landscaped in a couple of weeks (it’s currently a sea of badly laid fake turf from the previous owners) and we’re going through the final, finer details of the project with the landscaping company and there are a couple of questions I’m struggling with.

First off, here’s the planned design as it stands (there will be some pleached trees around the curved edge as the wall is low in places). It’s a slightly awkward shaped garden, hence we’ve planned it in the way we have.

As you'll be able to tell, the inspiration behind the design was this garden here:

Garden Design in Wandsworth, South West London · More Info

We wanted something with curves smooth lines to make a feature of the fact our garden is an unusual (and slightly impractical shape). Above that though, I really like the way the paved areas have been done. First off the longer flagstones, but also how neatly they have been laid. If you look at the close up here, I don't know what the technical term is but there's almost no gap or jointing between the flags.

Garden Design in Wandsworth, South West London · More Info

I asked the landscaper (who to his credit has been great) whether he could replicate this effect, and the answer was effectively a 'no'. I'm concerned we're going to end up with a patio which is less refined with large 'gaps' of jointing which isn't really what I wanted. Is there a specific technique to laying the flags like the above, and could someone please explain to me why this supposedly isn't possible?

Secondly, for the small round decked area we decided to opt for a composite decking as I hate the maintenence aspect of real wood. We'd been recommended this product by Ecoscape however apparently it now transpires that the edging has no flex and so won't accommodate a curved / circular deck.

I found an alternative product called Millboard which looks great and will flex however it's also eye-wateringly expensive. That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I wondered if anyone had any experience of any other products that might do what we want?

The other alternative suggested was to use timber edging and then clad it with another material, such as a rusted steel, so that it looked like an intentional design decision. I'm not necessarily against this, but I can't find a similar example or picture how it would look in my head. Any thoughts or ideas would be really welcome.

Thanks, Jonny!

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.