tashvin_ramdarshan

Maple/Ash kitchen worktops?

Vinny Eckles
2 years ago

Hi all

This is my first post so bear with me.

I am buying dark blue kitchen units and whilst I know white quartz looks great I also like wooden worktops.

I’m trying to therefore pick a light wooden worktop to lift the units and have recently got a sample of Maple and Ash from Top Worktops that I quite like.

Has anyone had experience with Maple or Ash worktops and do you think the colour combination could work?

My garden leading to the kitchen is South East facing if that helps/makes a difference.

Thanks

Comments (18)

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

Maple has a yellowy tinge so out of the two perhaps Ash

• PRO
    Resin Designs Studio
    2 years ago

This is how maple and ash slabs looks like after finishing. Green one is maple, blue is ash

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Could you share a picture of the samples?

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

It probably depends on how blue the units are. Wood will look very warm next to blue, duller blue may look more appealing and clash less. The bluer the blue and the more orange/yellow the wood the more it clashes. Complementary colours that are vibant, clash, dull complementaries look balanced.

• Vinny Eckles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the responses so far.

I am going with midnight blue tatton kitchen from Magnet. I have attached two pictures where I placed the wood samples against the unit samples in store.

The first lighter wood is the maple and the second slightly darker wood is Ash. Whilst I like that warmth of Ash, I also think the lighter maple colour lifts the darkness of the blue unit.

Great to get some thoughts?

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

I’m still sticking with my original suggestion of Ash. It has a far nicer grain.

• tamp75
    2 years ago

I prefer the ash, it has a nicer grain. Also for me maple is a bit dated (maybe because we had a maple-effect kitchen in the 90s when all the lighter coloured woods started coming in).

• Vinny Eckles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all of comments.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Both are lovely but I prefer the maple, only because I like it’s warmth.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Sorry I don’t think either wood choice lifts the units, they book look yellow against the blue and I think you should return to a solid surface.

If however the budget is challenged there are lots of inexpensive marble look laminates which would be my preferred choice over these wood choices.

If your taste is wood try to find a grey oak….. although that might be easier to find in a laminate too.

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

The ash is nicer but it still looks yellow against the blue as Jonathan has pointed out. Wood will only ever yellow even further so it is not a choice that you may want to live with. A darker cooler wood may look better (Walnut?) but if you want the light then the quartz may be better.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I think wood and navy look fab together but quartz is more hardwearing.

• Vinny Eckles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Sonia - do you know what wood material shown in these pictures as they certainly look good.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

The images were from Pinterest and there was no mention of what the worktops were. How annoying! Quite a rich colour so I would guess oak? They do look good don’t they?

• PRO
    Bathroom & Kitchen Planet Stirling Ltd
    2 years ago

Wood and navy looks great! I would opt for Ash but both will combine great with the navy!

• Vinny Eckles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone, I now feel more confident with my choices.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    2 years ago

Ash is usually painted as the colours can vary so much (a lot of painted wooden kitchen doors are made from ash) in the grain ranging from almost white to orange, maple is far more consistant in its colouring.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.