jlauricourt

Granny Annexe Floorplan Ideas

Jen Lance
2 years ago

Our granny annexe is looking smaller than expected. Ideally we would like 2 rooms. One a bedroom and one a playroom for the grandchildren with a sofa bed/area to nap. The open plan living room and kitchen seems too close together and we unsure of the best layout to provide as much open space to fit the family for visits. Windows and door cannot be moved at this point. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Ideas:
Layout
Storage
Utilise as much space
Space for grandchildren to play/sleep
Thank you.

Comments (14)

• hedgehog99
    2 years ago

Are you the Granny? Is this going to be your permanent and only home? Is it just you, or will a partner be living there with you? How old are the children and how many of them are there? Is the annex connected to the home in which the children live? How often will they be in the annex? (Sorry for all the questions but they all make a difference - eg if it's three days a week of all day childcare, you'll need much more space for them than if it's occasional visits).

Jen Lance thanked hedgehog99
  • Jen Lance
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Permanent home for my parents. Grandchildren will be visiting occasionally staying. Grandchildren are young. My parents would like the space for visitors too.

• hedgehog99
    2 years ago

I think the plan actually manages to achieve a lot in a not-huge space - basically a one-bed flat in less than 50 square metres isn't bad going. Initial comments would be:

- Is the dressing room necessary? Seems like a luxury in a small space. Could it be put to better use for a nap/overnight room, and a place for some toy storage? Or could it be dispensed with altogether so the shower room goes there, making more space in the living area?

- The sofa could be a sofa bed, but then when the grandchildren are staying, the grandparents will pretty much have to go to bed at the same time, unless they gave up their own room. So another argument for the dressing room to be a nap/sleep room. Though if it's mainly naps (rather than sleeping over), I would also point out that the age when they have naps goes in the blink of an eye and the next thing you know they're smelly teenagers who don't go to bed until 2 am :) So creating a space for that might not really make sense - they could just nap in the main bedroom, perhaps?

- The plan shows a 6-seater dining table. Depending on how often the grandparents want to entertain, it could be smaller - say a 4-seater extendable table which usually sits up against the wall and is only pulled out occasionally.

- Sorry I know you haven't asked about this aspect, but I'd be a bit concerned about natural light levels - the windows all seem quite small and there aren't many of them. Especially the seating corner doesn't seem to have much. Are there any skylights or ability bring in more light in another way, eg with sun tunnels? Natural light always makes a place feel more spacious, luxurious and pleasurable.

I'm sure the clever folk on here will have lots of other ideas.

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A sensitive issue but possibly a necessary one....would a larger bathroom be better and also would it be better as a wet room? I say this after having helped to look after my elderly father, we converted his bathroom into a wetroom with plenty of space for more than one person if help was required. I think I would combine the dressing room and bedroom into one room and make the bathroom larger.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I also think this space is tight and your plan gives over about 20% of the space to the grandchildren. Would it be just as easy for granny to watch them at your house?
    I also think the bathroom needs to be bigger and I think they will need far more storage space, ideally a cupboard to put a noisy washing machine in, some room to have space away from each other, and room for their own belongings such as books and memorabilia. So I offer an alternative.

• katlucy
    2 years ago

Hi,
    As it is to be a permanent home for two adults I would consider:
    Having the kitchen along the entire length of the left wall, ideally a small peninsular coming down from the back wall for prep, facing towards the dining table area which I would keep in the same position.
    I would widen the bedroom wing by 60cm, with a mixture of cupboards facing into the living space ie 1.8m beside the dining table for storage and the rest to be blank wall and door to bedroom giving more space for the bedroom allowing for a much larger bathroom with walk-in shower with seat to move along the front wall and become part of the bedroom wing. I would place two huge sofas facing each other, either side of the French doors with a tv above one to the right of the doors, one could be a sofa bed for guests.

• Jen Lance
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi, thank you. Sounds amazing but I am having a hard time visualising this! If you have time would love a brief design please

• Ellie
    2 years ago

By annexe I assume this is attached to another house, your own? If it's your own house it's attached too and the grandchildren are your own kids why does the annexe need to be able to accommodate them sleeping?

Jen Lance thanked Ellie
  • katlucy
    2 years ago

Hi Jen,
    I’ve put a hand drawn plan on my idea book for you as I only have an iPad or iPhone so can’t upload at the moment,

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Katlucys idea

• katlucy
    2 years ago

Thank you jonathan

• Jen Lance
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much this is so helpful! Really appreciate it!

• Jen Lance
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ellie there are other grandchildren in the family.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I slightly tweaked mine to make sure the windows are in the right place.

And I agree with earlier comments that rooflights would be a necessary addition given the size of the windows.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.