webuser_840615299

Lounge flooring/wall dressing for sophisticated luxe

HU-840615299
2 years ago

dilemma one - lounge flooring.

lounge, large but awkward L shape room, we just have the one lounge so it has to work hard for a family as is used by 3 small messy children, but also the space we want to invite guests into...

styles i like include rockett st george (bit dark and daring with a hint of fun) but also smart/sophisticated grown up (think The White Company and Neptune)

Wanting to add texture/interest to otherwise angular boring blank walls we rushed into panelling (photo to follow) with plan to paint lower level in strong dark colour 'Ink' by Neptune which is deepest darkest navy/black (to disguise kids hand marks etc) and add some daring, and paint upper level in PBW as had many a misadventure with 'off whites!' midway through repainting right now, hoepfully to be finished by the end of the week.

during painting and laying of new hearth, plus a paint spill courtesy of 5 year old, our old carpet has been totally ruined so new flooring is a must.

every image i save on pinterest is a hard wooden floor with large area rug - seems smart and timeless with options to change it up with rugs. husband wants to recarpet, which is probably cosier and softer but bit boring especially since a polyprop bleachable thing would be the sensible choice...

the other thing that makes the hardfloor possibility harder for the lounge is the quite distinctive wood effect tile we previously put down in the adjoining rooms - beige trevekcharme herringbone tiles. if we put real/engineered wood in a different lay pattern in the lounge i imagine this would look dreadful, like a patchwork floor/flooring showroom?! the doors are left open most of the time.

also hoped a sisal/jute look option by 'unnatural flooring' a faux cleanable option might be a good compromise to get the 'natural material' feel and add another interesting texture, but on seeing samples they look a bit 'office-y' and would certainly be hard underfoot. would be interested to see if anyone has gone for sisal and whether an area rug looks any good on top?

indecisiveness is my curse, struggling to decide what wont look silly beside herringbone, look sophisticated, be comfortable, and not be an absolute pig to maintain keep clean. imagination struggling to picture these tiny samples on a larger scale. internet visualizer tools arent up to much.

huge thanks in advance to anyone who has images of similar decor in their homes or has 2 cents to put in xx

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.