nitul_pancholi

Loft Conversion & another design opportunity - :-)

Nitul Pancholi
2 years ago

Part of our home renovations - we also look to complete a loft conversion. Attached are our initial designs - we are looking to create a suite type of experience. With the current designs we are not able to access the storage space in the front roof space and ideally we would like to benefit from the views on the left side of the layout as they over look the local countryside. Would love to see some additional design options and layouts you would recommend? Trying to iterate and improve further...

Comments (13)

• PRO
    MacLean Architecture + Design
    2 years ago

It seems to me that the prime window real estate is not being used to its full potential. Perhaps moving the bath under the window will provide a nice relaxing spot for a view, and if it's free-standing, you may be able to access the eaves storage. It would then be worth considering a rooflight over the basins, which would find themselves in a darker corner.

Nitul Pancholi thanked MacLean Architecture + Design
  • rinked
    2 years ago

Are the dividing walls already in place? (or are they roof trusses?) What is the height where the staircase is, as in: Could the stairs be built without the corner? (Your other two staircases are directly under, right?) The entire back will be a dormer, am i correct?

Nitul Pancholi thanked rinked
  • Nitul Pancholi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @rinked - currently they are W shaped roof trusses. The stairs would need the corner as continuing straight would not be an option as the height would be too low. Other two staircases are directly underneath. Yes - the back end to end will be full dormer style - it has been adjusted from the drawings so the wall covers where the blue ?'s are!

• rinked
    2 years ago

Eaves storage a plenty!

Imagine hatches next to the nightstands and in the bathroom. I removed the closed off dressing area as it only chops up the grand loft feeling. Going clockwise starting top left: Window seat with storage underneath, tall wardrobe, little desk, tall wardrobe (for towels and such). Bathroom door moved over a bit, could be pocket, but a regular would be fine as well. Vanity about a meter wide, toilet, shower, eaves storage, freestanding bath. Then more tall wardrobes (either with or without the corner bit), slightly deeper wall between stairs and bed, not much else.

• rinked
    2 years ago

Hmm looking at it again, wardrobe against the staircase could be drawers, medium height, to let in some more light from that large window.

• Nitul Pancholi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thinking about a more open kinda of design - bed facing towards the chimmey as we have country side views through there...this type of setup some how?

https://media.rightmove.co.uk/46k/45890/109328357/45890_HEN140144_IMG_05_0000.jpeg

• PRO
    Bilton Design Ltd
    2 years ago

Building regulations would normally require a lobby to the top of the stairs for fire safety - has this been thought about?

Nitul Pancholi thanked Bilton Design Ltd
  • rinked
    2 years ago

Good point, @Bilton Design Ltd.

Dressing area back in, if that counts as lobby.

• rinked
    2 years ago

Or with a view from the bed

• PRO
    Bilton Design Ltd
    2 years ago

A large landing is acceptable, but not a dressing room - to much fire load potential, unless other measures have been taken (sprinkler system?)

Nitul Pancholi thanked Bilton Design Ltd
  • rinked
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Would a firedoor suffice or does it need to have a certain landing space?

(never too old to learn)

• Nitul Pancholi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all the inputs and suggestions - we have finally settled for the following design for the loft. Sharing here for others in the future to benefit from also - thank you all for the considerations and ideas...

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.