jon_hercman

Satin or eggshell for fireplace surround and panelling

J H
2 years ago

Hi there

We are making some changes to an inglenook fireplace and have decided to paint the surround and also the cabinets and panelling around it.

The surround will be a chalky white and the panelling Farrow and Ball School House White (a slight grey/green).

The picture rail and frame of the fireplace will be satinwood pure brilliant white. We are then going to paper under the rail in William Morris Pimpernel (as per mock up). We have re-tiled with some delph style tiles already to brighten the look as the room sits under a porch/veranda.

I am unsure whether the surround and cabinets/panelling should be satinwood or eggshell. Any advice would be great. Unfortunately we have considered and do not wish to keep the wood colour and it is too expensive to stripback.

Kind regards

Jon

Comment (1)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

You can use eggshell or Satinwood, they are both paint types suitable for wood. I painted a couple of bookcases in eggshell water based, but I think oil based is more hardwearing, if rather smelly! Make sure you also user a couple of coats of primer first. Make sure each coat is allowed to dry fully before applying the next. Good luck.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.