kyomi2

Unsure whether to engage architect

kyomi2

We are planning to get a new kitchen and replace French doors into the back garden. Our house is fairly new and the layout is already open-plan. My husband wants to retain the current layout exactly and just upgrade; I'd like to see if there's any way we could fit in a utility room as the current kitchen is terrible for storage and it would be helpful to get the washing machine out. Extending is not a possibility as our garden is already too small, so a utility would probably need to use some of the hallway space.
We have reached a deadlock because he doesn't want to pay for an architect if we don't need one, while I'm reluctant to just engage a builder/kitchen fitter without investigating whether my dream of having a separate utility area would at least be possible. However, our budget isn't limitless and I would really regret engaging an architect if the answer turned out to be "No, it isn't possible to create a separate utility."
Is there any way to break this cycle of indecision? Should we just hire an architect and accept that the money may end up being "wasted" if there isn't a possible solution?

• F F

Hi,
    There is an option of putting laundry under the stairs depending on the actual layout.
    Secondly you can extend kitchen towards the outside door. So big window on top & under counter units for your washer & dryer.
    It all depends on your actual design. These are a couple of suggestions just from the map.
    Hope it helps a bit.

• kyomi2

Thank you! Unfortunately the under-stairs cupboard is too low to fit the washing machine, although we did check that out. Extending the kitchen units towards the window is definitely an idea though.

• F F

You are most welcome.
    Another option could be the full wall of units on the opposite wall of kitchen behind the dinning table,with washer dryer hidden behind cupboard door.