kat_li74

Creaking staircase does it need replaced?

Jennifer Li

Hi all, I'm wanting to put down new floors in my house and thinking of a carpet runner on the stairs. I'd also really like a new Bannister and to open the wood panel and replace with panels. I'm going to call a few places tomorrow but thought I would stick a comment here for anyone that has had the same issue. Thank you.

• Sonia

A lot of older staircases creak, you should hear mine! I like your suggestions.

• Jennifer Li

Thanks Sonia! I guess with wood there's always going to be movement, isn't there?!

• arc3d

Stairs are pretty easy to fix especially if the carpet is up and you have access from underneath. Lots of DIY videos online.

No point wasting a perfectly good staircase especially if you are going to replace like for like.

• Jennifer Li

Thanks. No DIYers in this house Arc lol but thank you. Good to know.

• Patrina

I wonder if the creaking is from the threads rubbing against the risers? I had a bit of creaking in mine and used a bit of calk in the joins and it seemed to have alleviated that issue. Appreciate that your staircase is older but it is worth a try. (I used paintable calk)