holly_cummins84

Are flush ceiling lights dated? Can pendants go in high traffic areas?

Holly C.
2 years ago

I've just moved into a house, and feel a lot of the ceiling lights are dated.

The kitchen has lights like this, and I feel a row of pendant lights would look more modern. It's over an island, so pendants should be fine.

Things get trickier in the bedrooms and study. The study has a light like this, but held together with rawl plugs (?!).

... and this is one of the bedroom lights. Apologies for the blurry photo, I shouldn't have tried to photograph it at night!

I've looked around at other flush and semi-flush lights, and they also look dated to me. Am I right that pendants would look better, or do I just have an irrational dislike of flush lights? I worry that a pendant light in an office would be a hazard since it will be in an area that gets walked through. My ceilings are 2.5m or so, so fine, but not especially high.

Our style is industrial-meets-period, but I'm not a fan of bare bulb fittings because it seems like they make bulb shopping a nuisance. I just can't seem to find non-dangly non-obstructive lights I like!

Comments (10)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.