webuser_581490899

Selkie shower board wall preparation

Kath H
2 years ago

Hi I've been advised that before the tradesman will install Selkie shower boards in my shower cubicle they will have to replaster whole cubicle, walls are currently tiled. The tiles are still on the walls and apparently cannot be re grouted as approx 6 tiles across bottom row across 2 walls has suspected water behind them. I am however not sure why they would need to fully replaster all the cubicle before even seeing the extent of any water damage.
Does anyone know if this is usual practice before installing the selkie boards?
Any advice would be welcome thank you

Comments (8)

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

I think you’d need to ensure that the water isn’t still leaking first. Once this has been confirmed then there is absolutely no reason why shower boards cannot be fixed to cover tiles.

I had tiles in my shower cubicle and went over them with Bushboard Nuance ensuring that we also purchased their BB Complete adhesive to get the guarantee. They’ve been on for many years.

• Kath H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Daisy for your comments. The actual leak is simply where the shower water was getting behind the tiles so once retiled properly or boarded it should be fine. I guess I was more trying to establish if when you affix the boards (Wetwall or Selkie) onto the wall and not on top of existing tiles then is it then the done thing to have to replaster. I kind of feel the job is maybe not big enough in this current climate where tradespeople are really hard to come by and therefore they have added the extra plastering to bulk up the job! Not really sure.
    Any other comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks K

• Daisy England
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Can’t they just stick the board to the existing tiles? That is what we did. The boards are large and solid so i cannot see why re-plastering needs to be done

• Kath H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not quite sure, it wasn't put to me as an option. And with "potential" water damage behind the existing tiles I also agreed it would be better to remove the tiles to see extent of any damage and fix that rather than covering up then ending up with issues in a few months time.

I just didn't foresee I'd be quoted straight off for a full replaster without checking behind the tiles.
    I am currently trying to get a couple more tradespeople out to seek alternative quotes so I will ask that question once I can finally get someone around. Tradespeople are like good dust at the min!

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

Tradespeople are hard to get. Completely agree. That’s when they can get the supplies. It is getting harder and harder to get supplies and each time you buy something it has increased in price.

• Mary Mary
    2 years ago

Can I ask what you did in the end, we are also fitting Selkie boards in our shower over the floor to ceiling tiles. Would love to see your finished shower

• Kath H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Mary so far the issue is unresolved as I have really struggled to get tradespeople out to quote on the job with them being in such high demand at present!

• Mary Mary
    2 years ago

Oh sorry to hear that, hopefully won’t be too long to wait

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.