julie_cunningham54

Aluminium windows sill caps screwed in?

Julie Cunningham
2 years ago

I have had aluminium windows fitted. The windows look lovely however each of the sill endcaps have been screwed on. I think the screws showing look awful and scouring the internet I cannot find any other examples of endcaps that have been screwed in. The window company say that this is just how these endcaps are fitted.
Has anyone else on here seen it done like this before?

Comments (9)

• Julie Cunningham
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Sarah L
    2 years ago

How odd. If it was meant to be screwed on I'm sure the manufacturers would have supplied matching screws.

• arc3d
    2 years ago

Those look awful. At a minimum they should match the colour of the sill.

My guess is the fitters have used the wrong screws. If you remove one and the end plate has a tapered recess for the screw, that would confirm the wrong sized screws have been used

• arc3d
    2 years ago

I was only able to find one example of a screw in end cap. Even that was a technical diagram. Most end caps are clipped in or glued on.

You can see clearly that the screw head fits inside a recessed hole so that it is flush with the cap.

Julie Cunningham thanked arc3d
  • lspendl 828
    2 years ago

I’d feel disappointed with that. I’m sure they’re usually glued.

• Julie Cunningham
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The window company say that these are the correct screws and we're sent by the manufacturer. They said that they are countersunk screws so don't see the problem. They said they can put a bit of paint over them if I want them to but they are not responsible if the paint flakes off.

I am not happy at all but I don't know what to ask them to do about it.

• Julie Cunningham
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A photo from a different angle so you can see how much the screws protrude. They look terrible.

• Julie Cunningham
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Option 2 was suggested by the window company but with a caveat that the sealant would discolour and eventually fail and let water in and the caps would come off and they would not be liable for it. 🙄

I will do Option 4 with 1 and 3 as fall back if I cannot get a resolution from the window company.

This thread has given confirmation that I am not being unreasonable not to accept the window company saying that these screws in the endcaps is normal.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.