hopingforsunshine

Replace single panel/compact radiators with column, advice?

hopingforsunshine
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

As a home improvement noob I hope I can get some advice from all you lovely people before I approach plumbers.

I'm looking at replacing all the radiators in the house which are a combination of 'compact' and the old flat 'single panel?' radiators to the column radiators which are much more my taste aesthetically. I do have a very limited budget so would really appreciate any advice.

So excluding the cost of the radiator itself...

1) How much should a plumber be charging to do a straight forward swap of the radiators?

2) Would it cost a lot more if I got smaller radiators? as the pipes would have to be connected in a different place?

3) Would it cost a lot more if I wanted to move the radiators to a different wall?

4) I'm looking to get my existing floorboards replaced so am I right in thinking it makes more sense for the radiators to be done first before the floor being redone?

5) For column radiators I've seen 2/3/4 column options, is there much of a difference other than the aesthetic, between these options? Does the amount of heat being released differ at all?

Sorry if these are silly questions but like I said, I'm completely clueless!

Oh I'm based on the outskirts of York if that also helps.

Comments (2)

• arc3d
    2 years ago

Hi Louise,

1 - Most charge a daily rate. Anything from £100 to £250 per day. Really depends on a lot of factors like experience, location etc.

2 - smaller radiators may be cheaper to buy but the extra work of moving pipes could put the price over that of larger ones that don't need pipes adjusting.

3 - Yes it will cost more to relocate the radiators. The more work for the plumber the more he'll charge. Plus the cost of new pipes.

4 - Yes it makes much more sense to get radiators done while floorboards are up. Less work for the plumber the less he'll charge.

5 - Radiator heat output is measured in BTUs(British Thermal Units). Generally the more water a radiator can hold the greater it's heat output. Bigger/thicker radiators hold more water so output more heat. There are many online BTU calculators that can help you figure out what size of radiator is best for each room in your house. An experienced plumber will also be able to help when choosing the right size radiator.

hopingforsunshine thanked arc3d
  • hopingforsunshine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much @arc3d for answering my questions :)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.