abh356

Shutters Versus Integrated Blinds

Morning! We are looking to change our window dressings. We currently have a mix of curtains and blinds.
Curtains are easier to clean but we would like something a little more modern.
Our dilemma is this. Shutters have that wow factor and are modern however like off the peg blinds, are a pain to clean and you have to clean the window too. Integrated Blinds retrofitted are more clinical in look and have issues with potentially damaging the frame but there is less cleaning and to be honest, post Covid I really need to spend my time enjoying life and not spend it cleaning!!
Cost: Integrated double the price of Shutters.
Suppliers: Quotes are easier to obtain from shutter suppliers than integrated supplier's as more eager to provide a quote post Covid?!
Our surrounding neighbours have a mix of either curtains and blinds (like us), blinds (vertical and horizontal) or just curtains. The reason I mention this is that our garden is West facing and theirs are South. The front of our house is South facing.
Your thoughts?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Stone River Interiors
    2 years ago

Good evening,

If it were my house I would go for shutters. Like you say, they really do have the wow factor and look fab inside and out.

I think you'll be surprised that shutters aren't that much upkeep, and you often have the benefit of being able to choose to divide the run of slats so you can tilt the bottom half or top half independently from one another (thinking about your sunny rooms and being able to flex how much light you let in!)

It is very much a personal choice though, so if you really feel like the cleaning will be too much - the integrated blinds will remove that completely!

All the best with your project :)

Dani

• Angela Gossington-Hurd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Dani.

I'm glad you brought up the tilt issue because in my current lounge, we have 5 independent blinds because of that issue: South facing.

Now to make a decision 🤔.....

• Sarah R
    2 years ago

Hi Angela - Out of interest what did you go for? I'm considering shutters for my bay window at the front of the house which is south facing.

• cavgirl
    2 years ago

I got shutters fitted in my south facing bay window last year. I love them. They’re so versatile and they really do dress the room, even without adding any curtains etc. Mine are the full height ones. As my bay isn’t huge, it’s one shutter on each of the side windows and a classic double shutter on the central window.

• cavgirl
    2 years ago

ETA: room was about to be repainted, thus difference in wall colours!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.