webuser_870194643

Revamping MDF laminate units?

Hannah Night
2 years ago

I want to revamp our utility room. Currently has white MDF laminate units, yellow walls and grey/black lino on the floor!
I'm thinking navy units, white walls and some patterned flooring...? But...how do I achieve this please. Can I paint laminate units? Can I lay tiles or lino over the current lino or do I need to take it up first.
Any tips on a budget welcome!

Comments (7)

• Daisy England
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Is that 7 doors in total you need replacing? Slab doors like those are easy to make and the cheapest design too. Personally I’d just replace them in your proposed colour. Look on the Kronospan or Egger website for a choice of colours (and there are many).

If the existing floor is lino you will need to take that up first, ensure the floor is level before adding tiles or a new lino. Plenty on eBay.

Hannah Night thanked Daisy England
  • Jonathan
    2 years ago

It really depends on budget.

The cheapest fix would be to paint the walls a warmer colour.... pretty much everything will go with white units and your current floor. You might also consider taking down the wall cabinet above your dryer which in my opinion looks like an afterthought.

You could take it a step further and use the doors from the extra wall cabinet to front a new base unit and fill the redundant appliance space.

As Daisy says swapping the doors could change the colour of the cabinets- personally I wouldn’t paint the existing cabinets as it will be a lot of effort and likely not very hard wearing.

If you do decide to change the floor you will need to take this up and make good the floor underneath before laying an alternative. Although a DIYer can do this a flooring store can supply and fit a new lino for reasonable prices. Click together floors, ceramic tiles and Luxury vinyl tiles are all a step up in price.

• arc3d
    2 years ago

Hi Hannah,

The laminate units are relatively easy to paint. Preparation is key! Cleaning, sanding and priming.I installed self adhesive vinyl tiles in my hallway and WC after we moved in a few years ago as a temporary solution (it had cream carpet in both!). It was only supposed to be a temporary fix, but it looks really good and it's never managed to make it back on to the to-do list. Vinyl has come a long way!If your original vinyl is stuck down properly and the floor is flat, self adhesive tiles will be the perfect budget option. There is a huge variety out there.I would also suggest adding cornice above the wall units and a pelmet below. That plus new handles could make the units look much more expensive. Again another easy DIY. No reason why it couldn't end up looking like this

The laminate units are relatively easy to paint. Preparation is key! Cleaning, sanding and priming.

I installed self adhesive vinyl tiles in my hallway and WC after we moved in a few years ago as a temporary solution (it had cream carpet in both!). It was only supposed to be a temporary fix, but it looks really good and it's never managed to make it back on to the to-do list. Vinyl has come a long way!

If your original vinyl is stuck down properly and the floor is flat, self adhesive tiles will be the perfect budget option. There is a huge variety out there.

I would also suggest adding cornice above the wall units and a pelmet below. That plus new handles could make the units look much more expensive. Again another easy DIY.

Marble effect adhesive for the work tops?

No reason why it couldn't end up looking like this...

• Hannah Night
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@arc3d

Thanks this is pretty much exactly what I had in mind! Dark navy colour units and light walls. Our units are just flat so possibly won't look as nice but a think new handles etc would make a difference. I'm struggling to find a eggshell paint to use on top of the primer if I did paint them.

• Hannah Night
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Daisy England

yes 7 doors. I had a look at those two websites but struggling to find how I would order any if we did that. There aren't any shops local to use.

• Hannah Night
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jonathan

I was after a modern look of perhaps a dark navy blue colour against a white colour and some interesting tile pattern on the floor perhaps. I did think I could paint the walls a darker colour and keep units white but thought that may make the room too dark.

Struggling to figure out how the doors can be changed from the websites given above/cost ideas.

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

Ask a local independent kitchen company or alternatively look for a local joinery shop who have the machinery to cut and edge the blue board. We do it and we are in Staffordshire.

If you like a colour on the links you’d need to get a joinery company to order it in for you. There’s also Pfleiderer and Serica which doesn’t show fingerprints.

You buy a huge board then you need a joiner to cut and edge it to size and drill the hinge holes to match the existing positions.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.